BME680 / BME280 sensor under RPI3 I²C GPIO with HASSIO

I have read your step-by-step instructions carefully and several times. To avoid mistakes, I am writing a document in Spanish.

My first question is about the autorized_keys file. Should it contain only the characters of the private_key?

If this is correct, what should I do with the public_key?

Probably more doubts will appear and I will be grateful for the patience and help of the experts of this forum.

I have done with the greatest care the first 5 steps of your guide. In step 6, I run Putty from a second computer (port 22222) and the following message appears: "Network error: Connection refused".( port 22 connects correctly)

My doubts and questions:

1.- In step 3, I copied and saved all the characters of the window using a plain text processor (EditPad Lite) in a file authorized_keys.txt. I saved it in the root directory of a USB drive, formatted with CONFIG.
Is that correct?

2.- In step 5, when you click on the HARDWARE button, the disk section appears the following: /dev/sda and /dev/sda.
Is it correct?

Where are my errors?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi again,

The generated public key must be copied in a file called authorized_keys (without .txt or any other extension). Then copy the authorized_keys file to your USB flash root directory, after that connect this flash to the USB port of your Raspberry Pi and click Import from USB in your hassio WEB interface.
Once it is done, use your private key to ssh to your hassio’s port 22222.

If you use PuTTY, configuration should looke like this:

If it still doesn’t respond to 22222, then try to restart your hassio. Maybe after restart it will work. Good luck.

It is wonderful that in this forum there are people who dedicate their time to help and who have enough patience to attend the queries of newbies.
Following your instructions, I have corrected my mistakes and I have achieved a clear advance. Now I access the Hass.IO console, as you can see in the image.
My problem is that I don’t know how to navigate through the folders, to modify the config.txt file and add the rpi-i2c.conf file.
I’ve typed ‘help’, I’ve tested some commands, but I haven’t been able to find the solution. I resigned to avoid corrupting the whole system.
Do you still have the patience to keep helping?
In any case, thank you very much.
Captura_01

Nice! Now in this console you need to type the command login as it says in it and press the enter key.
After that change directory with:
cd /mnt/boot
Then follow the steps #8 and #9 from my solution.

Unfortunately, my lack of Linux knowledge keeps me from moving forward. I’ve gone as far as you can see in the picture.
Foro_HA_01
But, from here, I’m not able to modify the config.txt file or add the rpi-i2c.conf file. I typed help again, but I don’t know which commands to use.
Thank you very much for your patience and help.

Ok. Here’s how you do it

Check contents of the config.txt file:

cat /mnt/boot/config.txt

Append config.txt with 2 necessary lines:

echo “dtparam=i2c1=on” >>/mnt/boot/config.txt
echo “dtparam=i2c_arm=on” >>/mnt/boot/config.txt

Create rpi-i2c.conf and add necessary lines:

echo “i2c-dev” >>/etc/modules-load.d/rpi-i2c.conf
echo “i2c-bcm2708” >>/etc/modules-load.d/rpi-i2c.conf

Check again both modified files for changes you made:

cat /mnt/boot/config.txt
cat /etc/modules-load.d/rpi-i2c.conf

Restart your raspberry. After restart i2c should be enabled. Now just configure your sensor properly.

I followed your instructions with this result.
Putty_final
I understand it is the right one. However, after rebooting the system, the following error still appears
Wed Feb 20 2019 17:53:29 GMT+0100 (hora estándar de Europa central)
Error while setting up platform bme280
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/smbus/smbus.py”, line 81, in open
self._fd = os.open(path, os.O_RDWR, 0)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/dev/i2c-1’

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 128, in _async_setup_platform
    SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=hass.loop)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 358, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sensor/bme280.py", line 92, in async_setup_platform
    bus = smbus.SMBus(config.get(CONF_I2C_BUS))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/smbus/smbus.py", line 56, in __init__
    self.open(bus)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/smbus/smbus.py", line 83, in open
    raise IOError(e.errno)
OSError: 2

My sensor configuration is:

- platform: bme280
    name: Clima
    i2c_bus: 1
    i2c_address: 0x77

The installed sensor is the original Adafruit sensor, which always uses the 0x77 address (I checked it in a direct installation in another Raspberry). I also checked the jumpers connections.

I think I will desist from enabling this sensor in Home Assistant. But your patience and help have allowed me to learn new things and move forward. Again, thank you very much.

Hello El_Viejo

it doesn’t work because you copy the text.
if you paste the text into putty screen remove the ?

Reboot and it works :smiley:

afbeelding

Looks like there is a formatting issue - when you copy the command here, it copies another type of quotation marks. Actually - my bad, I just could have skipped using them in my example.

You can fix your added lines by removing these quotation marks like this:

sed -i ‘s/\“//g’ /mnt/boot/config.txt && sed -i ‘s/\”//g’ /mnt/boot/config.txt
sed -i ‘s/\”//g’ /etc/modules-load.d/rpi-i2c.conf && sed -i ‘s/\”//g’ /etc/modules-load.d/rpi-i2c.conf

Just tested and looks like the same problem is with these commands. You need to replace these “smart” single quotes with the straight ones in these 2 commands above. Hope you can manage it.

After this just make sure the quotes are gone and then reboot

Hello vitaalz and rubendijk:

I have managed to do this.
Putty_ok
Now, the error message does not appear and in Home Assistant I can see the three sensors of temperature, humidity and pressure.

vitaalz, using your commands, I get the error: "unsupported command".

With the suggestion of rubendijk, not removed the quotation marks, but I added the two correct lines.

Now I have to reconfigure Lovelace and later I will try to learn about templates.

Thanks a lot to both of them. Their patience is comparable to that of Job (the biblical character)

Hello.
I’m trying to make a BME280 sensor work on HASS.IO, but I can’t do it in any way.
I wrote the files mnt / boot / config.txt and etc / modules-load.d / rpi-i2c.conf
but hassio on reboot eliminates them both.
I wrote them both through PuTTY (as ‘root’) and from Web UI of the confugurator in Hassio.
Can anyone help me?
thanks

hello vitaalz,
I’m trying to do the same via PuTTY, but when i type ‘login’, it ask me login: and password:
but I haven’t
can you help me please?

Hi alexittitti,

Your hassio shell looks different from expected one. Did you follow all the instructions and SSH’d to port 22222 ?

hi vitaalz,
my PuTTY is configured on port:22222
pubblic and private keys works good, so i have access via SSH to Hassio as ‘root’ but as you can see i haven’t root’s privilege :frowning_face:
I don’t know why on the SSH server the port is 22222, but in the log it says ‘… listening on port:22’

and after connection it says other ports… in the picture ‘49483’.
I tryed to see in the hardware with the usb pen ‘CONFIG’ inserted, but Hass.io don’t see the disc /dev/sda

I am very angry and frustrated
a lot of thanks for your time

alexittitti,

I think you are digging in the wrong direction. You DO NOT NEED to change any network settings of the terminal on web interface. That is not the shell you need to login to. You can revert that setting back to default port (22).
The port 22222 is automatically opened when you successfully load your public key to your hassio. If you don’t see your USB drive as /dev/sda under Hass.io -> SYSTEM -> HARDWARE, you won’t be able to proceed with the key import. So work on that.
First make sure your keys are generated properly as it is described in my instruction. Then put the generated public key into the file called authorized_keys and copy this file to your FAT formatted USB stick named CONFIG. Plug it in your hassio and make sure USB appears in the Hardware list. If it is there, click on Import from USB.
After that use the private key to login to hassio via PuTTY on 22222 (see my PuTTY screenshots in this topic above)

Hope it helps

hello vitaalz,
I reinstalled everything from the image ‘hassos_rpi3-2.12.img’,
I generated a new pair of keys with PuTTYgen,
I configured PuTTY on port 22222 with the private key.
I created the file ‘authorized_keys’ without the extension and copied it to the FAT formatted USB named ‘CONFIG’.
in the Hass.io> System> Hardware continues to not appear /dev/sda.
I anyway tried Hass.io>System>Import from USB, but at the connection, via PuTTY, it asks me to log in, and when I type ‘root’, it rejects me because it doesn’t recognize the key (obviously, since I didn’t load it).

according to you, can I write the public key directly on the microSD?
if it is possible, in which directory, or in which file?
A lot of thanks

Well yeah if your USB device does not appear as /dev/sda in the Hardware, then of course you won’t be able to import the public key and will fail to SSH with your private key.

What is your setup? Are you actually using raspberry pi3? What is your Hassio version?

This weekend I will try to check If I can reproduce your situation. Who knows maybe things have changed since HassOS 2.8 and Home assistant 0.87.1 when I was actually doing it myself.

Meanwhile another thing you could try if you are installing hassio from scratch from the image - after you download the hassos_rpi3-2.12.img image, modify its contents before flashing it to your microSD with Etcher. In the image there is a config.txt file. Uncomment/add the following lines to it:

dtparam=i2c1=on
dtparam=i2c_arm=on

Then flash the modified image to the your microSD. I have no idea if this will work. Never tried it that way. But maybe it’s worth trying. Let me know.
I will let you know about the results of my experiments on the weekend sometime soon.

therefore
I’m using Raspberry pi 3 B
HassOS 2.12 - Home Assistant 0.101.3 (but this follows from the image)

I can’t change the config.txt file contained in the image that I see as a single .img file

I can try to modify the config.txt file if it is readable on the microSD after flashing.
I’ll let you know if this is possible.

yes, on the microSD I can modify the config.txt file, so I added only the first line that you recommend: dtparam=i2c1=on, because the second one was already without comment.

but on Hass.io owever i don’t see the bme280 sensor
in the configuration.yaml i have this lines
sensor:

• platform: dht
    sensor: DHT22
    pin: 24
    temperature_offset: 2.1
    humidity_offset: -3.2
    monitored_conditions:
    • temperature
    • humidity
  • platform: command_line