BMW ConnectedDrive component

@roborob The OPEN_TILT state is merged in this HA PR.

Will be part of HA 0.98. Maybe you can try the beta version which should be available somewhere today to see if that works for you?

And can you also check if all entities are available in HA for you electric car?
Because another enhancement I have added is that only (binary) sensors in HA are added which are supported by the car. So if you have an older car which doesn’t support any sensor data but only services like lock and horn, these sensors are not added so you don’t get errors when the component tries to update them but there is no data available.
I would like to get a confirmation that all entities for electric cars are still added to HA as they were before this change.

1 Like

Gerard, thanks very much!

I doubt I’ll try the beta version. Doing anything out of the ordinary with HA just never works for me. I never did get a custom component to work and ultimately gave up.

Anyway, I look forward to version 0.98 and thanks again! I’ll report on anything I find as soon as I can.

question, my wife has a bmw, the conneted drive + was expired, but i was able to add the car to the connected drive portal, so the car was added with correct vin
but do you actually need a connected drive + account for this too work?
i thougth maybe without the + account , i would have limited features?

with my audi, my connect was also expired, but i am still able to retrieve some data like GPS tracker, fuel …

when i load the bmw component now, i have this error::

2019-08-23 20:23:57 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [bimmer_connected.account] {
  "error" : {
    "code" : 500,
    "description" : "(SmartPhoneUtil-A-2012) Ressource not found. No status available for VIN WBA...."
  }
}
2019-08-23 20:23:57 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [homeassistant.components.bmw_connected_drive] Error updating the vehicle state

after restart i have this :

2019-08-23 20:48:16 ERROR (SyncWorker_2) [bimmer_connected.account] Unknown status code 500, expected 200
2019-08-23 20:48:16 ERROR (SyncWorker_2) [bimmer_connected.account] Error
2019-08-23 20:48:16 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component bmw_connected_drive
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 172, in _async_setup_component
    component.setup, hass, processed_config  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bmw_connected_drive/__init__.py", line 49, in setup
    accounts.append(setup_account(account_config, hass, name))
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bmw_connected_drive/__init__.py", line 77, in setup_account
    cd_account = BMWConnectedDriveAccount(username, password, region, name, read_only)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bmw_connected_drive/__init__.py", line 127, in __init__
    self.account = ConnectedDriveAccount(username, password, region)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bimmer_connected/account.py", line 55, in __init__
    self._get_vehicles()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bimmer_connected/account.py", line 190, in _get_vehicles
    logfilename='vehicles')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bimmer_connected/account.py", line 134, in send_request
    raise IOError(msg)
OSError: Unknown status code 500, expected 200

edit: ok tried installing app on android, after login, i see that remote services is not enabled, but i am not able to activate it, seems you need to have a paid subscription for this component?

Is there any info available in the Android app? If so, keep restarting HA a few times as the error messages you get are known to happen regularly.

No, no info in the app, just the picture of the car and the name

Do I need to activate something in the car maybe? It’s a 418d, I think 2017/2018

really dont understand, it seems the car is connected, i can send from the app for example a location from my calendar, so its connected, i see below my booked services
but in the app, i dont see any info, its just empty
alos “remote services” is not activated, but thats normal i think, these are extra services

Edit:

I called BMW hotline, seems you need an remote services subscription to see some info… So we need to pay for it?

Correct, as you already found out this is a paid service.

I though it was a free subscription for basic features only, to read the fuel tank and stuff…

And paid subscription like remote engine start…

I believe there’s a SIM card in the car that’s used to send the data (fuel etc) back to BMW. The subscription covers the network access charge for this, as well as other things.

yeah, the sim is working, i can send indeed stuff to the car, like street addess locations from my calendar
but thats about it
i dont see anything in app about fuel tank or something like that

Are you usb or Bluetooth connected to your car when you do that?

None of both? I thought that the info was provided through internet account? Isn’t that the case?
This HA platform is doing the same thing, right?

so what are you saying? i need to connect with BT/USB first to the car with the “connected app”
, then it will upload data to the portal, that information then can be downloaded to HA with this platform ?

Negative, I was just thinking that maybe the reason that you can send the navigation input from your phone is because you were connected via Bluetooth or USB to the car at the time.

I recently purchased a 1 Series from new and I wanted to ensure that it would be able to speak to HA. All of my investigations concluded that in order to retrieve the data, I’d need to have the Remote Services option added to ConnectedDrive for it to work properly.

ok, i think its too expensive for just the information we want :frowning:

In the US, subscriptions sometimes go on sale, e.g. Black Friday $30 deal a while back. Check your emails from BMW regularly (or sign up for emails) and maybe you’ll catch a good deal.

Ok, thnx. Good idea

@gerard33 Outstanding work on the changes that went into 0.98.0!

My log is now much cleaner and the errors that are there are more detailed. I still have to restart a few times when I restart HA, but as suspected, this is a BMW rather than a component issue; it seems that their web services often respond with 404s, 503 etc.

1 Like