BMW ConnectedDrive component

how would i do that? i googled it, but all i know is how to do the telephone/mulitmedia update. but this surely is a different thing.

I guess you can check in a iDrive menu the software version? Not quite sure, can not check my car right now.

@danielperna84 @gerard33 would be nice if we could use the gps coordinates to build a device_tracker in home assistant. :slight_smile:

That PENDING part is related to the fact that his car needs maintenance/service.
I already made a mapping for the details of these service notifcations so I can show them in HA.

I already have that working on my test HA :grinning:
Also check this post BMW ConnectedDrive component - #16 by gerard33.
I will try to upload some new screenshots this evening. Progress of the component is going allright.

i donā€™t say youā€™re wrong, but i canā€™t imagine this to be true. the car actually HAD maintenance some weeks ago, and the software was updated, as well as oil change and stuff.
any way we can be sure? or anything i can check with my car?

I will check the mapping I have made this evening. At least that part of the api is for service messages.
It looks like the service for that specific part is needed in December 2018, but your output has some more details then mine.
In the meanwhile you could check the BMW app for this

here is a screenshot of my APP. all fine, no service required.
but the information shown seems different then yours. there is no service history, or mileage shown.
EDIT: i checked the car and there is some ā€œwiper fluidā€ to be refilled. maybe thatā€™s it.
EDIT: i canā€™t check the idrive version anywhere.

Unfortunately no, my car canā€™t be updated without replacing hardware. iDrive 5 uses more powerful hardware than iDrive 4. I googled a bit, and there seems to have been some efforts to upgrade, but id5 on id4 hardware runs rather unstable because of the limitations (less RAM, slower CPU). And there also is something with an additional harddrive. With iDrive 5 there seems to be an optional additional harddrive which stores media files. I think to cache media from Spotify etcā€¦ Without this extra harddrive the Connected apps have no storage to use, and therefore are not available as well.

Regarding the device tracker:
I once have read, that the remote functions rely on Text-Messages that are sent from BMW to the SIM in the car, which in turn responds with the location data. My assumption would be, that with Connected+ this is different and the car is alway online. For my regular ConnectedDrive though I think polling the location could be a problem. Imagine BMW sending a text to a car every minute. Iā€™m pretty sure they wouldnā€™t like that.
This would need to be confirmed though. Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve read that. Back then I was wondering why it took ages to find the location or honk the horn. And it was explained with the wakeup-text that is being used.

EDIT:
I have downloaded the CarData package just now. Whatā€™s interesting is, that the lat and lon (location) in there match exactly the value I get when using the script. The thing is: the CarData data tells me this location has been recorded in September 2017. So Iā€™m pretty sure using the location data from the script wonā€™t help. I know that even at the same location GPS coordinates always hop. So sadly even the location data is useless with older iDrive systems.
Another Edit:
Using the location feature in the Connected App manually now has updated the data the script fetches. But using the App to update this is nowhere near pracitcal.

Some screenshots of the current status.

screenshot_3

screenshot_4

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Mercedes just released their API 5 days ago :slight_smile:

Edit: Created a small python library during lunch to facilitate the integration:

Iā€™m really curious if this works for me. What are the prerequisites and how do I install this on a hass.io installation?

Nice script you have made. Have you seen the PR by @ReneNulschDE for Mercedes ME at https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/11743/files? I think he uses another API (at least another url). I am reusing his great PR a lot for the BMW component :grinning:

Currently you can download the Python script and add your credentials. When you run that from the command line it will show some data. If thatā€™s there then this will work for you as well.

Here is a screenshot of the current version.
Still a lot of work to do, but we are getting there.

@JesseWebDotCom, were you already able to run the script? If so I can add some extra sensors based on the info from your electric car.

Havenā€™t seen it, thanks for the link :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s for ā€œMercedes meā€ which is a interface from Mercedes that plug onto the obd port (and itā€™s quit nice since it work even on car from 2010 or so).
The one I wrote is for the new api which is integrated in Mercedes latest model.

Hi,
Can I do this when running Hass.io? (Download script, enter credentials)

No, Iā€™ve been sick with the flu and havenā€™t had time to call Bmw. Unless youā€™ve made some changes to the script that may fix things for me.

Please post a link to the source code at the tope of this thread (so others can easily access and test it). Thanks

any testing release to get the data from the script into homeassistant @gerard33 ?

I would love to test this with my i3. How can I enable it on my home assistant server? Happy for some instructions.

great to see a working version. screenshot looks great. canā€™t wait to make this work here as well.
as far as i see it, this is just FETCHING info from bmw website. itā€™s NOT interacting with the car.
so no way of unlocking the car, or starting remote heating etc ā€¦??