Boil my smart kettle from HA

Hello, how do you know it has finished boiling? Does you plug have power consumption sensor and you use that as a trigger? If so what plug do you use?

Thanks in return

Yes, it monitors power consumption. It’s a TP-Link HS110.

The kettle also beeps when it’s finished boiling - this is a legal requirement

My egg boiler also beeps and I hate it :slight_smile: an automation to quickly shutdown the power without any intervention is nice to have.

Thanks I’ll look into it

I’ve just got one of these kettles.

I’m really pleased with it but it would be good if they exposed an API so we could monitor energy usage, when the kettle has boiled etc. without having to use a smart plug as well.

I wouldn’t hold your breath, in a year the company has done nothing towards an API

No, I didn’t really expect them to.

I guess I better keep on using my smart plug and the kettle.

For me the problem is making sure it’s filled before running it. The ultimate smart kettle would be hooked to the plumbing, and you’d tell it how much water to boil up and it would fill just that much and boil it for you to the temperature you choose and keep it warm how long you ask.

Until that is invented, how about ha enabled scales under the kettle?

2 Likes

@scstraus it wont boil if there isn’t enough water, but if you want something plumbed in there are loads of (expensive) options e.g. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Franke-3-In-1-Monobloc-Instante-Boiling-Water-Tap---Chrome/p/173910

Yeah, I know about those… The hassle of boiling a kettle has never been enough for me to swallow the cost of one of those along with the cost of keeping it heated up all the time (isn’t that how they work?), as well as the risk of one of my kids burning themselves. The thing that would convince me to go “smart” would be something like this:

where I could just tell it how much water I wanted the couple times a day when I need boiling water, and it would boil me that amount and then be off the rest of the time…

1 Like

I keep coming back to this thread hoping for more news. I would love a smart kettle and could botch it with a sonoff and having to manually add water.

However for me, I really want an API before I would consider purchasing this as I need to be notified the evening before bed if there is not enough water in the kettle so that I can do something about it, rather than it not boil in the morning and have an angry wife!!

I see in the app it shows you how much water is in the kettle, the temperature etc - If we could get all this info into HA it would be great. I have just emailed them to ask on any progress.

3 Likes

No interest in an API from the engineers at Appkettle unfortunately.

"Thank you for your interest in our Appkettle.

After speaking to our engineers I can confirm we do not open API interface functions and services to users."

These guys are never going to release an API, best approach would be to reverse engineer the kettle private API

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but @robmarkcole do you still have the kettle and does it still work ok?

I used to have an iKettle v2 which i used in HA and have missed it since it broke a year or so ago. I am looking to get this kettle, but really want to integrate it into HA.

I suppose worse case scenario is using Alexa to boil and then a smart plug to monitor use for when it is boiled, but the HA integration you have done is great if it still works.

Thanks

mb

Yes it has proven a ‘strong and stable’ kettle and integration via IFTTT

1 Like

my xiaomi died… appkettle landed, configured and running…Thanks @robmarkcole

1 Like

This mornign it worked like a charm… wife walked into the kitchen and to her (surprise) and delight the kettle stared to boil… massive points just before valentines day… cheers!

2 Likes

@robmarkcole does the IFTTT integration let you set different temperatures from home assistant? Or does it just turn the kettle on?