Boil my smart kettle from HA

I just received one of these smart kettles, it has IFTTT and Alexa integration:

The kettle has IFTTT support, so I used the IFTTT component, creating an IFTTT webhooks trigger called “boil_kettle” to allow me to boil the kettle from HA. I have set up an automation so that when I get up in the morning and motion is detected in the main living area, boil the kettle, but only once very 45 mins :smile:

- id: morning_kettle_id
  alias: Morning kettle
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.living_room_motion_sensor
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  condition:
  - after: 05:45:00
    before: 07:00:00
    condition: time
  action:
  - data:
      event: boil_kettle
    data_template:
      event: boil_kettle
    service: ifttt.trigger
  - data:
      entity_id: automation.morning_kettle
    service: automation.turn_off
  - delay:
      minutes: 45
  - data:
      entity_id: automation.morning_kettle
    service: automation.turn_on

Now posted on Hackster:

9 Likes

Clearly they have overlooked RFC 2324 - Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol (HTCPCP/1.0) from 1998 and it’s more recent extension RFC 7168 - The Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol for Tea Efflux Appliances (HTCPCP-TEA). :astonished:

4 Likes

My favourite quote from that protocol (still waiting for my toaster)

Increasingly, home and consumer devices are being connected to the
Internet. Early networking experiments demonstrated vending devices
connected to the Internet for status monitoring [COKE]. One of the
first remotely operated machine to be hooked up to the Internet,
the Internet Toaster, (controlled via SNMP) was debuted in 1990

I don’t have a smart kettle, but I use a smart plug to turn the kettle on with HA, Alexa and Google Assistant.
Love it, it often makes me grin when automations are triggered :blush:

Here’s some automations I’ve set up for it:

• If I return home it turns the kettle on (only at certain times), and my Google Home in the lounge says ‘Welcome home Jono, I’ve put the kettle on’.

• When my wife returns home HA turns the kettle on and a Bluetooth speaker in my office says ‘[wife’s name] is home, so I’ve put the kettle on’.

• If we turn the kettle on (with HA, Alexa or Google Assistant) and it’s after sunset it turns the kitchen lights on once it’s finished boiling.

• It also tells us when it’s boiled (handy it we turn it on from upstairs and can’t hear it).

The motion detection automation sounds like a good idea, I might try that one :+1:

2 Likes

Full write up on:

1 Like

Hey Rob,

Have looked into the API at all with a view to creating a HA component?

I am looking at kettles at the moment and this one seems to be the highest rated, although I am also looking at the Xiaomi, but before I buy, I would like to see a dedicated HA component. IFTTT is just not reliable in my opinion and therefore want to avoid it where possible…

Thanks

1 Like

HI @uiguy the IFTTT integration has been pretty reliable. There have been a few outages but the kettle makers (Appkettle) have been on the case quickly and outages usually not more than a couple of hours, perhaps on a couple of occasions in the last 5 months.
RE Api I’ve raised this with them, but suggest that the more people that enquire about it the more likely it is to happen.
Cheers!

cool, thanks, have emailed them.

I realize that this post is pretty old at this point. @robmarkcole I was just wondering if the kettle has continued to work, reliably all this time? I’ve been looking for a wireless kettle for some time now, but the reviews on Amazon aren’t great. Also, it’s a one of a kind (there’s no other product like it). Does it work reliably as a kettle? Is the wifi connection reliable? Is there any other way of connecting to it besides IFTTT (I’d rather not rely on the cloud)? Thanks for your input.

Yes it’s a great kettle, as you’d hope for the price :slight_smile: I answered your questions just above in this thread. Re wifi connectivity my kettle is literally 2 meters from my router, so no issues. Suggest Amazon might have more specifics on performance.
Hoping for an api soon, in the meantime IFTTT is mostly ok, if a little bare bones.
Cheers

2 Likes

lol, you should check out zoneminder… people still resurecting posts related to crappy software from 2012… goooooo home assistant… http://bit.ly/2zHgfJ5

2 Likes

I’ve updated my write-up to demonstrate how to monitor the energy usage of the kettle, and get notifications when it has boiled using the Wemo Insight switch.

1 Like

Hi Rob,

I’ve an appkettle too. I’m emailing AppKettle to see if we can get it more fully integrated into HomeAssistant. IFTTT isn’t that reliable, and I’d love to only start boiling if the water in the kettle is over the number of people in the house for a brew.

Cheers
Phil

1 Like

They promise a full API is on their radar, but I wouldn’t hold your breath

But who puts the water in the kettle? If manually … whats the point …?

1 Like

I put it in the night before. Also its usually topped up and its quite nice being able to boil it from my laptop :slight_smile:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email.

As the information you are requesting is confidential to the product we would be unable to confirm the above.

Kind Regards
Amy S

I contacted them and they said that they would look into an integrarion. Ultimatly a component available in HA drives sales…

Use case here is for my kettle to boil and keep the correct temp at feeding time so that I don’t have to wait for the kettle to boil in the freezing cold kitchen half asleep at 06:00 in the morning when I have to feed the baby…

1 Like

What happens when the teenager makes tea after I have gone to bed and the kettle is empty when it gets switched on in the morning? I see blown kettle …

EDIT: actually most of my HA stuff is ruined by teenagers plugging, unplugging, switching or fiddling.

2 Likes

The kettle is smart enough not to boil if there’s no water.