Bonaire MyClimate - Creating a custom integration

No worries. It has been working well for me for about 6 months with my old app daemon code base, and we can always work through any issues that crop up. I am 100% confident I can get evap working, it’s just deciding what is the most user friendly way to do it that fits in well with everyone’s setup.

1 Like

Not sure how much extra work it would require, but could you have an option in the config.yaml to specify if you have an evap system so the component doesn’t have to be a “one size fits all”?

My code can work out if you have an evap or not anyway. There is not much to put into the platform options really unless there are some ideas.

I am aiming to have this as a standard HACS component at some point too.

1 Like

Hey guys, mine arrived in the post today! Bought on eBay for $205+post.

My question is effectively around initial setup - is it a case that I MUST use the app to get the initial wifi connection going, or is there an alternative?

It broadcasts it’s own SSID to setup within the App so you can get it on your own Wifi network. Unfortunately there is no other way I know of without considerable effort to reverse engineer the initial config process

Thanks for confirming.
I guess there’s no real value trying to build something to do it given it’s not a widely used piece of hardware - I’d think.

Hopefully on the weekend I’ll get up and running with the repo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Coming to the brains trust on this one. Just spent a while up in the roof… Given how my machine is set up, I don’t see any way to install the device without leaving the lid slightly ajar in one corner (without going to a ton of effort) as per the photos.

Is this likely to pose an issue? How did you install yours?

(and apologies, I realise this isn’t really related to the integration as such!)

Mine was professionally installed when I got the system, I will try and get into the roof in the next couple of days to take a photo. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t go through the top like that

My unit had some existing wires coming out of a rubber grommet on the side. These ran to the zone actuators and navigator thermostat.

I disconnected the wires from the wifi module, and ran them through the grommet.

Mine sounds the same Joseph - but it was looking very difficult to deal with that hole. How complex was it? Any specific notes? Think I might end up doing similar.

Unfortunately there is no other way I know of without considerable effort to reverse engineer the initial config process

I’m thinking this might actually be fairly possible - I caught the packets of the initial setup.
I’m going to set myself a project of doing it - outside of the HA integration. No exact timeline but hopefully within a couple weeks I’d think. From the look of it, think it’s all possible outside the app.

1 Like

I’ve drafted the script that I’m 99% sure will allow me to update the wifi connection, only problem is I can’t test it!
I’ve been able to use it when the machine is on my actual wifi, to set it to something else and it drops off my wifi.

The critical test is following the setup instructions via the navigator controller to put it into setup mode, where it has it’s own MyClimate hotspot… When it’s in that state, I can’t for the life of me get an RPiZero to connect to the MyClimate hotspot! I’ve attempted using wpa_supplicant where MyClimate was my top priority connection, it’d always fall through to the secondary. When I removed the secondary altogether, I’d just not get a wifi connection.

Worth noting that the Pi can definitely see the MyClimate network when I perform some scans. Does anyone have any idea about this and a potential way forward?

I can’t really offer any help here, but from my perspective the Bonaire app seems adequate for the once-off initial Wifi setup. After that, you can just use the Home Assistant integration and not have to worry about the app anymore.

As for the cabling - I cut the cable, passed it through the rubber grommet, and then connected the wires back together again using some scotch locks. I couldn’t find my soldering iron otherwise I would have just used that to unsolder / resolder the wires back to the board. For the black power cable, you can just unscrew it from the control board, pass through the grommet, and re-connect.

So pleased to see this thread! We are looking at buying a Bonaire and I want to build my own integrations with the rest of my home automation. I’ve been quoted $825 for the Bonaire MyClimate Wifi Controller.

Are these things on eBay the exact same thing?

I am a little confused whether the “Navigator Controller” is the same thing as the MyClimate Wifi Controller. From the photos it looks similar to what @onkytonk showed, but the eBay photos show batteries instead of a power pack.

They are the RF version I’m pretty sure. WiFi add on package doesn’t come with a controller normally because you need the wired, or RF controller in the first place.

1 Like

The wifi package a couple of us have bought of ebay for $200 (it’s listed as $300, offer $200) - the link is in this thread.
That said, I think all of us buying it were doing it from a starting point of already having a functioning system, with a navigator controller. If you’re starting from nothing, that could be why you’re looking at a higher cost?

When we bought our house it already had the system, so I can’t speak to the initial installation.

1 Like

I’m only seeing links for the API… I must be blind

Apologies I must’ve been wrong! It’s the only result on ebay when searching bonaire wifi: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124219490306

Thanks! Any idea if these work with older evap systems? I have an old Celair evap which I’m told is the same as Bonaire… Wondering if I can get one of these units to work with it

Wouldn’t know I’m afraid, hopefully someone else can weigh in definitively.

I suppose one thing you could do with minor risk is just purchase this for $200+post and worst case when the next person comes along needing it they might pay say $150 to get it off you? Obviously still taking a risk to do that.