Boolean sensor trigger one of two actions

I’m sure this one exists already, and certainly there’s the “Motion Activated Light” blueprint built into Home Assistant, but I have a particular use case.

1. I combined the state of a motion sensor (binary sensor) and a presence sensor (binary sensor) into a custom sensor (sensor). The built-in HA blueprint only accepts binary sensors, so I wouldn’t be able to lean on my custom sensor.

2. The HA script allows toggling a “light” sensor, but I’m actually trying to control a ZigBee “switch” entity. Yes, I could change the device type to “light” (especially since it is controlling a light bulb ultimately at the moment), but if this switch was ever controlling something that’s not a light, that would get confusing.

Instead, I whipped up a small automation blueprint that accepts a “sensor”, and based on its on/off state (plus a delay for off), will trigger different on/off actions. If you wanted, you could have “on” do something completely different than “off”.

Blueprint

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

# This script will trigger different actions based on whether a sensor is on or off.
blueprint:
  name: Based on sensor
  description: Trigger an action when a sensor is on or off
  source_url: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nwithan8/configs/main/home_assistant/blueprints/automations/based_on_sensor.yaml
  domain: automation
  input:
    sensor:
      name: Sensor
      description: A sensor that toggles on and off
      selector:
        entity:
          domain: 
            - sensor
            - binary_sensor
            - input_boolean
            - light
            - switch
            - outlet
    sensor_on_state:
      name: Sensor "on"
      description: State the sensor is considered "on"
      selector:
        text:
    sensor_on_action:
      name: When enabled
      description: The action to perform when the sensor is enabled
      selector:
        action:
      default: []
    sensor_off_state:
      name: Sensor "off"
      description: State the sensor is considered "off"
      selector:
        text:
    sensor_off_action:
      name: When disabled
      description: The action to perform when the sensor is disabled
      selector:
        action:
      default: []
    duration:
      name: Wait duration
      description: How long to wait after the sensor is disabled before triggering the action
      default: "0:00:30"

trigger:
  - id: "off"
    entity_id: !input sensor
    for: !input duration
    platform: state
    to: !input sensor_off_state

- id: "on"
    entity_id: !input sensor
    platform: state
    to: !input sensor_on_state

condition: []

action:
  - choose:
      # Sensor enabled
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id: "on"
        sequence: !input sensor_on_action

# Sensor disabled
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id: "off"
        sequence: !input sensor_off_action

mode: single

Setup

I use this to turn a switch in my garage on and off when presence is detected, but it’s generic enough that you can use this for any simple “on” or “off” action based on a boolean.

Sensor “on” and Sensor “off” need to be the word of the state that the sensor will be in. For some, this might be True/False, others on/off.