Boot from harddisk

I have had a productively running HA for about a year now in docker on a raspberry. Because frequent writes to flash, logs and database, wear it out, I boot and run from a harddisk. I also use WLAN channel 13.

Just now I have a second test system with HA-OS. I would like to switch over to the OS for productive use some time in the future but can’t find any solution to both these problems:

1. How do I install on and run from harddisk?
  2. How can I use channel 13?

Danke
Axel

1.) Like you would with an sd-card. Plug the SDD (I hope it is at least an SSD) into your PC via an USB adapter and write it with eg. RaspberryPiImager or Rufus (don’t use Etcher!).
If you can’t do that, you’d need to configure a USB dongle and run the installation from there (write to the USB dongle (stick), start the Pi and select the dongle to install from).
2.) You shouldn’t use Wifi at all. That’s the recommendation from the dev team, and I can follow that thinking. HA is intensive with all the data that is flowing in and out, Wifi can be overwhelmed. :slight_smile:
But, that’s for you to decide, so if you install Raspberry-OS, you need to set the region during setup, otherwise wifi will not be enabled. Settings are made via “raspi-config”.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you. I see I forgot two things.

1. It’s a Pi 3B. The 4 can boot from USB. On the 3 Raspian has two partitions on the card, a small FAT one and the large Linux file system with (normally) the OS. I needed to edit the FAT partition to make the OS boot from disk instead. This mechanism seems unsupported in HA-OS or supported another way, that I have not found.
  2. You are right. I use wired LAN. WLAN is a nice fallback to have. Nevertheless, WLAN is supported in HA-OS but supported incorrectly. WiFi is enabled and works. It can see all my neighbours’ nets just not mine on channel 13. The region is set correctly, if only for the time zone.

Thank you for your help and patience.
Axel