Boot hdd, ssd o usb drive

Yes yes already in use … I only asked for confirmation

1 Like

thanks but i’m on RPI 4 …so i don’t know but don’t work .
i have activate the USB boot on eeprom .
i flash my ssd … the raspberry boot on ssd but hassos never start :confused:

I recall reading in the forum about others on the rpi 4 doing what I said, booting from the sd and then running off an ssd. And the easiest way to set up the system was to do a typical install to both the sd and the ssd. I don’t know why it wouldn’t work for your system.

so I resume.
install hassOS on SD and SSD
insert the SD card into the RPI 4 connect the SSD
run raspberry
and that’s all ? the ssd will take over from the SD card

I haven’t personally done that but in the forum I have seen multiple comments from people indicating that the method works well. Once the sd boots all other storage activity (especially writes) happen on the ssd.

it also depends on the type of ssd and the type of usb adapter you are using.

Really? Is that still true if you are booting from the sd? Seems like the drive and interface issues I’ve read about have to do with boot timing. Not that I would be totally shocked if what you said was in fact true.

scroll down the discussion there is a list with tested ssd and their adapters HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB 19

i have the kingston a400 120go so it’s okay and i have a usb 3.0 to sata3 adaptater URGREEN HERE

I get to boot with raspbian os so I don’t see why it doesn’t work with HASSOS :confused: I use the image recommend in 32bits I will try the 64 bits

Because you said you have a rpi 4 and the boot capability is still very new. If it didn’t work with 32 bit I seriously doubt it will work with 64 bit. Did you try booting from the sd with the ssd also connected? That mode seems to work for folks in the forum.

yes I also doubt it but hey who does not try anything has nothing ^^ and actually it does not work I even try with another usb box 3.0 to sata I / II / III 2.5 “/3.5” and it does does not work either :confused: actually with the SD card and the SSD it works but the RPI4 works only on the SD :confused:

Really? Hmm… did you remove the data partition from the sd?

ow … no

a empty sd ? :thinking:

No leave the boot partition but try removing the data partition if there is one on the sd. Perhaps if there is not data partition the system will search for it on other connected drives.

yes maybe thanks for this idea ^^ i try this

1 Like

First of all, to avoid problems due to your ssd … try a pendrive … As I said, take an empty sd card formatted in fat32 insert the bootcode.bin file only, then write the image on usb and try … If it works for sure it is your ssd not compatible … Not all boot boot are identical … If it worked with raspbian … It doesn’t mean that it works with HassOS

my two cents to boot from USB HDD on Rasperry Pi 3 Model B

(wrong answer not to be considered)

this guide has nothing to do with the problem that occurred in the os updates …

It solves your original question very well. I damaged only one SD card…

ooo I apologize infinitely … I thought I was replying to another post … yes yes you are right … I delete the post I was wrong