Boot hdd, ssd o usb drive

I have damaged 2 sd cards since I used home assistant, and all this in less than 6 months. I wonder how it is possible to have a hassos responsible for managing automation by relying on an sd card? How can you solve this serious problem by switching to hdd or ssd or pendrive?

You need to reduce the amount of data you are writing to the sd card. If you record a lot of HA activity for history or logbook purposes that information is written to the sd card in a standard setup. Either exclude anything you don’t need to keep or include only what you want to keep and save on writing to the sd.
What hardware are you running HA on? If you are using a RPI 3B+ it is already possible to boot from an ssd. You use the same process you used to create the sd card to create a bootable ssd.

Thanks for the reply. Could you be kind enough to explain to me how to run HASSOS on hdd or ssd? I tried to write the image with etcher directly on usb pendrive for test, but no boot. The OTP bit is enabled. I use rpi 3+ @micque

I have a rpi 3b+ and have booted from sd, usb, and ssd. There is nothing special to the process. Same process for all three. In your case, you do need to enable the bit but it sounds like you already did that. I have heard of timing issues with some ssd that will not allow booting from them. In those cases you can always use both sd and ssd. Put the boot on the sd and run everything else off the ssd, so no writing to the sd. I currently boot from a Kingston 120G ssd. Perhaps ensuring the bit is set and trying a different brand usb as a test would be a next step. Also I suggest you search the forum regarding this topic. There are threads explaining what has worked for others.

I see that you are in this thread:
HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB
There you have all information needed. Had a quick look at it and it doesn’t seem to be a simple task to accomplish.

Here is a guide that will allow you to run Debian from a USB connected drive, instead of the SD card.
STICKY: HOWTO: Move the filesystem to a USB stick/Drive
This will not work for HASSOS as is but will give you enough information to understand the procedure.

Edit: Found this thread as well:
Hassio booting off ssd on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

Resolved. It was enough for me to copy the image to USB pendrive, then I copied the bootcode.bin file available online on the sd card. Both sd and pendrive inserted in the raspy. Hassos operating from usb. It works right now. Now I try the procedure using a hard disk. Thanks for the replies

1 Like

I am still using the pendrive because hdd is not working, I have to buy an ssd. I noticed that the 4gb usb inserting it in windows has an unallocated space of 3.7 gb. How do I extend the file system with HassOS?

HassOS will extend the space automatically, no intervention required.

After how long … I inserted the system monitor in the configuration.yaml file and the disk is 100%

Not sure what you mean when you say the disk is 100%. Do you mean no free space? I think the minimum recommended size for storage is 16G. A 4G USB drive would be terribly undersized and likely be fully consumed by the system. My 120G ssd says there is 96G free and I didn’t do anything to extend the file system.

hello, or do you find bootcode.bin you have a link with the procedure I turn around … ^^

How come in windows I see 3.7 gb unallocated?

1 Like

that’s normal they will be used by hassio only if he needs it =)
please where do you find bootcode.bin and you have a link with the procedure ?

Likely the system needs swap space, etc. that are promises but not yet allocated. You can try running with less but I would guess the stability will suffer.

In HASSOS how do you see the GB available? Do you use ssh add on? If yes, which command should be used

Just do your standard install to an sd. That will put the bootcode.bin on the sd. If you then also add an ssd, etc. then it will take over from the sd once the boot is complete.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/README.md

I’m using the system monitor history.

This?

Yes. I thought you said you already loaded the system monitor.