Bosch Home Connect Alt - confirm installation process

Hi,
I am trying to install Bosch Home Connect Alt in HACS and I am not clear on the install process.
The documentation says 'Follow the instructions for the default Home Connect integration at
[Home Connect - Home Assistant].

THAT document says 'Visit https://developer.home-connect.com and sign up for a developer account.’

So my questions are:

1. Do I need to install the built-in integration for Home Connect first?
  2. Do I need to sign up for a developer account? Reason I ask is because I am not a developer.
  3. Again, the documentation for the built-in integration for Home Connect talks about Application ID and OAuth Flow. Not sure what that is relating to?
  4. In the documentation for Home Connect Alt, it makes a mention of client_ID and client_secret. Is that the same as login and password?

Apologies for the questions, the process is not clear to me.

Thanks in advance.

Bump
I was hoping to hear from someone who has done this integration. Isn’t there anyone?
I do apologise if these are silly questions but the process is not clear to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

G’day @llundberg

No. You need the developer account setup first - setting up the integration requires the developer account setup.

Yes. I’m not a developer and I signed up. I chose the ‘Individual’ account, and put None for most or all of the required fields (eg website)

Once you sign up for a developer account you will be able to select “Applications” (fourth link from the left, under the HomeConnect logo). Click the “Register Application” and then use the three fields under the 3rd step on the Intregration page: Application ID, OAuth Flow, Redirect URL (assume that you do have “My Home Assistant” setup)

No. After you create a new application these fields will be pre-populated in the application page.

Thank you so much. Very much appreciated.
I hope it’s OK if I can ask for more advice if I get stuck?

Hi,
I set up a developer account and went to the Register Application page.
It asks me to add:
Application ID - Is this something I can make up myself?
OAuth Flow - options are Authorization Code Grant Flow or Device Flow. Not sure what these mean. I assume that is important if I want to develop. What did you pick?
Redirect URL - Not sure what this is? I have a Home Connect account set up and working but I don’t know what the URL is? The way I access Home Connect is via the Android app.

Please help if you can.

Bump.
I would really appreciate your help on this, what you did to make yours work.

Thanks in advance.

I finally have this working, with the assistance from ekutner. I really appreciate his patience which I know must have been tested by my noob posts.
The final piece of the puzzle was changing the redirect URl to Link to OAuth2 Authorize Callback – My Home Assistant.

Can someone please do a step by step guide how to get this thing running?
I´m trying for months now to get my Bosch dishwasher integrated.
Always get this error:

{
“error”: “unauthorized_client”,
“error_description”: “client or redirection URI not authorized”,
“state”: “bla bla bla long key”
}

I had that problem for a long time. The solution was to set the redirect url to https://my.home-assistant.io/redirect/oaut

EDIT: this is what worked for me:
Set up an account with https://developer.home-connect.com.

On the https://developer.home-connect.com page, go to Register applications

Enter the following:

You will get from this:

In configuration.yaml, you need to enter:

home_connect_alt:
  client_id: long key, lots of characters
  client_secret: long key, lots of characters

I would then restart Home Assistant and Add the integration and it should work. It did for me anyway.

Also, from the Home Connect mobile app; you need to check that the appliance(s) are visible from the internet (check this by turning off your wi-fi on the mobile and check that you can see the appliance).

1 Like

@llundberg
Thanks a lot. Got it working. The trick was not to use the domain, where my homeassistant install is reachable. I used https://my.home-assistant.io/redirect/oaut for redirect url, and everything works.
I thougt the redirect url is the own domain.
Thanks again.

I have tried almost every possible combo.
I had it working and now not anymore
I have set debug for the component in HA but I have no log entry.
I simply get the unauthorized message from developer portal.
No matter what I put in
current config:

Hi All ,
Just for those Home Connect users (Siemens/Bosch). Please realize that app integration means you can get data to-from fridge.
My fridge has died, and I have zero-notification of internal temperature (fridge still thinks it should set 3 degrees), and when I open door too long, signaling alarm, notifications still occur on app.
Didn’t really think I needed to add a temp sensor (zigbee, etc) into the fridge.
Poor design – why can’t the fridge report internal temp?
~Bryan

Periodically I get a message from the Home Connect App informing me that the dishwasher needs to run a “machine clean” cycle. Is there any way of intercepting this with the Home Connect Alt integration? I can’t see an appropriate sensor.

I just got my home_connect_alt running. I’m not perfectly sure wether in configuration.yaml

home_connect_alt:
client_id: long key
client_secret: long key
the 2 long key shall be in colons or just the plain key. e.g.:
client_id: 24424ba66d623.........ec6
or
client_id: "24424ba66d623.........ec6"

The dishwasher is on the first time now but there are just a few entities:

device_tracker.neff_dishwasher_012050425384001531

Dishwasher

homesource_type: router ip: 192.168.57.121 mac: C8:D7:78:28:B9:05 host_name: Dishwasher last_time_reachable: 2022-11-13T10:57:06+00:00 connected_to: repeater-og connection_type: WLAN ssid: Internet icon: mdi:lan-connect friendly_name: Dishwasher

switch.neff_dishwasher_012050425384001531_internet_access

Dishwasher Internet Access

onicon: mdi:router-wireless-settings friendly_name: Dishwasher Internet Access

Isn’t here more than this ??

I wish I had found this post an hour ago. I was all excited to monitor my fridge internal temperature only to find out I can’t.

Well, I guess I’ll set up door alarm notification via pushover. Oh wait! I can just do that on the equally lame Home Connect app.

Disappointing Bosch. Very disappointing.

If it helps someone inexperienced like me, I solved it by entering Client ID and Client Secret without periods, brackets or other < symbols.

Exactly like that:

home_connect_alt:
client_id: 6384846848kutfoctotxcoxt
client_secret: otucotucotcotucotcoct
(client data is an example, obviously enter yours)

What tripped me up on getting this running, I had a long time ago, back when hassio was running v40 something, I had removed the entry [default_config:] line from my configuration.yaml (which is usually a default)
I ended up adding the following line to my configuration.yaml as i kept getting a fail during OAuth authentication with the message “error”: “unauthorized_client”

# configuration.yaml entry
my:

Hello,

I just updated from a previous version (1.0) to the most recent 1.1, and I now get these warnings:

Configuration warnings

Invalid config for ‘home_connect_alt’ at configuration.yaml, line 164: ‘client_id’ is an invalid option for ‘home_connect_alt’, check: home_connect_alt->client_id
Invalid config for ‘home_connect_alt’ at configuration.yaml, line 165: ‘client_secret’ is an invalid option for ‘home_connect_alt’, check: home_connect_alt->client_secret

What do I need to do to upgrade? Is it enough to just remove the config options?

What do I need to do to upgrade? Is it enough to just remove the config options?

It looks as if removing the options was enough, the credentials were already stored in Settings → Devices & Services → … → Application Credentials