Brain meltdown HELP

Everyone was not joking when they said HA has a step learning curve.

Background - I started my automations with ST 5 years ago and have decided to switch to HA. Tried homebridge for awhile to check out homekit. Love the fact I donā€™t have kids screaming across the house trying to get alexas attention anymore but the automations are to simple for me. So I got a rpi 4 and loaded HA on it. Eventually after I learn how to write the automations I need I will move all my devices from ST to HA and shut it down.

The tutorials for getting started were great. HA loaded right up. Got ST and HK installed and talking. Says ST has 96 devices and 341 entities(already have more devices waiting to install straight into HA when I get things going). And got File Editor installed. And that is about were I got stuck.

I have these errors from HA.

21-10-04 05:24:44 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot_exclude' is deprecated, 'backup_exclude' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of AdGuard Home
21-10-04 05:24:44 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot' is deprecated, 'backup' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of UniFi Controller
21-10-04 05:24:44 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot_exclude' is deprecated, 'backup_exclude' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of AdGuard Home
21-10-04 05:24:44 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config 'snapshot' is deprecated, 'backup' should be used instead. Please report this to the maintainer of UniFi Controller

Tried installing some new cards for the dashboard I seen in my research and everything said to use HACS. Finally found I needed SSH to install HACS. Got that. Tried installing HACS and after several attempts I finally got the installer to run but it failed.

else
     echo
    error "Could not find the directory for Home Assistant" false
    echo "Manually change the directory to the root of your Home Assistant configuration"
    echo "With the user that is running Home Assistant"
    echo "and run the script again"
    exit 1
fi

Any help would be very helpful.

Also loaded Node-Red because I seen alot of people talking about it. Yep that is as far as that went also.

Is there any tutorials Iā€™ve missed for writing complex automations? Or getting HA connected to GitHub?

These are just warning :

You have to wait until the add-ons are updated, the change from snapshot to backup is recent.

Read this :

What you (very understandably) are missing is patience :slight_smile: :rofl: Thatā€™s the one thing you will get for sure with HA and new installations.

Nonetheless, the possibilties are near endless, and you should stop yourself before going overboard. NodeRed is nice, but without understanding the basics in HA, you wonā€™t get far with it. :wink: So take a step back and work with what you have right now, move on step by step and always (like in never ever forget) do backups before moving on. On a side note, as you are using something to do your backups, thatā€™s not updated yet, Iā€™d highly recommend the GoogleDriveBackup-addOn (HA thread : Github)

Next recommended thing is the SambaAddOn. Install it, it makes your life easier, as you can get to your files directly.

That brings us to HACS. If you have attempted to install it a few times, what were the error messages there? You can find the installer file here, so you can see, what is going on before you get that error message. In short something with the paths isnā€™t right. So check the paths from the beginning of the installer script, here. Are these directories there and reachable? :slight_smile:

btw, I got used to live with warnings, just paying attention to number of errors in a day :slight_smile:

Yea over the weekend I lost it. Setting everything up originally I was single and worked on every piece slowly. Iā€™m not now and kept getting hassled every time I turned around because I had the house offline and nothing was coming on by itself and the light switches had to be used to turn on the lights or had to go to the ST app to turn the house off and on every night and morning instead of telling Siri to do it :slight_smile: The ball and chain much happier now that its back up.

So I missing something. Iā€™m getting that code to show up in the SSH terminal when I type wget -q -O - https://get.hacs.xyz but I must not understand how to make it run.

You might wish to consider inviting your spouse to be a participant in the project as opposed to a victim of it. Itā€™s less stressful when everyone is involved and aware of the process.

Otherwise this silly hobby may negatively impact your relationship. Itā€™s already making you refer to her in a disparaging way.

1 Like

Yes ā€¦ but is it really necessary to spam these messages to everyone who has never installed these add-ons ?
In my IT career we tried to avoid encouraging users to ignore messages.

You can remove the repository from the add-on store. Then you will not see these error messages any more.

Guess my sarcasm was a little dry for people that donā€™t know us. She is. She has a laundry list of things she wants added to the automations. And with ST always seeming to be down or buggy its driving her (us) crazy. So I pulled the trigger to make the switch to HA and asked her to let me know when stuff isnā€™t working so I could check on it. Her being funny let me know every time she walked in a room and the lights didnā€™t come on or laying in bed beside me would tell Siri goodnight and nothing would happen knowing the system was offline :slight_smile:

OMG stamp my forehead. The ā€œ| bash -ā€ wasnā€™t copying over with the rest of it so it was just displaying the code not running it.