"Brains" of Prime Wire smart outlets?

So to close the Loop Here,
I return my pack of 3 Plugs to Costco (with no issue) because one was DOA…
And picked up 2 Packs (Since costco did mention to me these migth never been restock)

i Also get the gentleman to provide me a list of Cotsco with in my area who still carry them and how many they still have in stock.

I quickly flash them to make sure no issue and all went fine.
i put some in immediate use and will play with one (test, found out the other GPIO usage etc…)

Thanks

Looks like a bunch of the prime devices are listed in the official Tasmota compatibility database too. I have a two pack of the outdoor dual plugs on the way. About $8/outlet ($16 / dual outlet device) CAD before tax on their website. Should be even cheaper locally if available. Looking forward to flashing them.

Edit: Just noticed these outlets are serial flash not OTA which I have not done yet and don’t have the gear for. Bummer. Has anyone attempted an OTA flash with these?

1 Like

Has anyone set these up with ESPHome?

I just bought these and tried to OTA with tuya-convert. It didn’t work. I think the device has the new firmware, outlined in this issue: https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/issues/483

It is super easy to open and has nice onboard pins for serial flashing. I usually do OTA, but had to try serial flashing a MagicHome LED strip controller. Using a cheap USB UART device from Amazon and Tasmotizer it was surprisingly easy. The hardest part was soldering wires to the pads for TX/RX/3.3V/GDN. But this device has them all easily laid out. You could probably get away without soldering…just use something like sticky-tack to hold the four/five pins in place for 5 minutes. If you’re only doing two devices it might not be too much of a pain.

instead of hacking the firmware, is there a way to directly get them imported into HA via addon, integration or something?

I suppose you could try the Tuya integration (assuming this device uses the Tuya cloud).

Just tried, it works like a charm. Surprising that the Prime App is just a plain rebrand, and what’s great is that the Tuya App doesn’t try to block other vendors devices to be imported into their system.

Tuya offers manufacturers a turn-key service. You can manufacture devices based on Tuya’s design reference, equipped with Tuya’s firmware that connects to Tuya’s cloud service, and accessible via a re-branded version of Tuya’s app.

There are many, many manufacturers who, wishing to enter the home automation market with very little R&D expenditure, take advantage of Tuya’s turn-key offering.

Hi. I have attempted to flash "Prime Smart Outlet Outdoor Plug (CCWFIO232PK) dated 8/20 with frustrating unsuccess with serial port. But can not get it into flashing mode. The unit has 7 pin holes which I have as 1-blank, 2-GND, 3-TX, 4-RX, 5-33V, 6-i00, 7-R?T which I assume are correct. I am using DSD Tech SH-U09C5 FTDI FT232RL which I have tested to TX and RX. It also supplies 3.3V to the PCB. The serial port is configured with baud 9600, Data bit 8, Parity none, Stop bits 1, Flow control as none.
I followed the instruction on https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Getting-Started/#after-configuration. I checked all Dupont cable connections but, nothing doing. What am I missing?

PS. Corrected header locations.

I followed this example for wiring it (it worked previously for a MagicHome). Magichome devices work PERFECT with homeassistant (reflash this code with ESPHOME)

I had i00 set to ground, which from my understanding puts the ESP into programming mode on power on.
I used Tasmotizer to flash it: https://github.com/tasmota/tasmotizer it was very straightforward and just magically worked.

I do remember that the labels for the header seemed to be off. The first label on the left, either GND or 33V, was shifted. It looked like the label applied to the second header from the left, when it actually applied to the header on the far left. I used a multimeter to check connectivity from another labelled pin on the board to confirm I had the right header. The other labels seemed to line up correctly.

Thanks for the assistance, The connections look correct by following the circuit board and matching it to the esp8285 chip diagram. I tried both outlet units with the same inability to get into flashing mode or get a connection. Maybe forced to use these with the Tuya integration.

Hi Mike

I am also having the same issue flashing via the pins. Any other tips you can think of?

Thanks

I purchased these Prime Smart Outlets (CCWDIO232PK) late Nov 2020 they have date code 8/20 with ITM No. 1429371. Tried to serial flash them without success; they just would not connect/handshake with esptool.py v3.0 or tasmotizer v1.2 with numerous attempts. Some have been able to flash these but maybe something has changed in the installed firmware or I just goofed on my two units??

If someone is able to recently flash these please, please provide detailed info on how it was done.

I installed these smart outlets using the Tuya app and Tuya integration on HA and are recognized by Google Assistant. Unfortunately they are on the tuya cloud.

Not that I can think, I didn’t solder any of the headers, just laid some DuPont cables through the slots at an angle and connected them to a bread board. 33v from the usb dongle supply, tx and Rx reversed between the two and the rest to ground.

I ran tasmotize on a Windows machine and it didn’t work…then I tweaked upon the misleading labels for the left most pin and moved the pin over. Ran tasmotize again and it worked out of the box. I was running 8.3.1 of tasmota.

I’ve got the exact same model/ITM values.
I didn’t use the RST pin, just kept IOO connected to ground through the whole flashing process.

I wired everything up to a bread board, but with the usb dongle unplugged. 33v to the usb dongle power, tx and Rx reversed, and gnd and I00 to the common ground. I then plugged the usb dongle in to the laptop and ran tasmotize and loaded 8.3.1 of tasmota (my common version for now)

Thanks I will give it a shot.

I got my prime outlets out of the tuya cloud. I retried with Tasmotizer again using the headers as shown in image from left to right GDN TX RX 33V IOO (GND is the second hole from the left). Thanks to parafilm on redflagsdeal.com site https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-prime-wi-fi-outdoor-smart-plugs-2pk-22-99-2414573/3/

1 Like

I have just successfully flashed this plug with ESPHome right out of the box! Using this website https://templates.blakadder.com/prime_CCWFIO232PK.html i mapped the GPIO pins. (Thanx bverkon for the link)
I used a cheep FTDI232 programmer. I had to ground the pin labeled “100” while powering it up to put it into program mode. After it was all connected, i had to restart the ESPHome plugin so it found the programmer.
This is the configuration i made.

esphome:
  name: outside_plug_1
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: ""
  password: ""

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Outside Plug 1 Fallback Hotspot"

captive_portal:

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    id: led_1
    pin:
      number: GPIO14
      inverted: True

name: "Outside Outlet 1"
    pin: GPIO13
    on_turn_on:
    - switch.turn_on: led_1
    on_turn_off:
    - switch.turn_off: led_1

id: led_2
    pin:
      number: GPIO03

name: "Outside Outlet 2"
    pin: GPIO04
    on_turn_on:
    - switch.turn_on: led_2
    on_turn_off:
    - switch.turn_off: led_2

binary_sensor:
  - platform: status
    name: "Outside Outlet Status"

pin:
      number: GPIO12
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
    name: "Outside Outlet Button 1"

After it programmed, i just powered it off and on and tada! it worked.
Im pretty new at all this and didn’t quite know what to do with the button? Guess someone could use it to trigger the switch relay? Any ideas or advice would be welcome.
As is, you can use Home Assistant to turn on the plugs!

edit… I got the button useful! I added to the configuration so that when you click the button, it will toggle on/off the first outlet. And if you double click the button, it will toggle on/off the second outlet.

switch:
    id: led_1
    pin:
      number: GPIO14

name: "Outside Outlet 1"
    pin: GPIO13
    id: relay_1
    on_turn_on:
    - switch.turn_on: led_1
    on_turn_off:
    - switch.turn_off: led_1

id: led_2
    pin:
      number: GPIO03

name: "Outside Outlet 2"
    pin: GPIO04
    id: relay_2
    on_turn_on:
    - switch.turn_on: led_2
    on_turn_off:
    - switch.turn_off: led_2

binary_sensor:
  - platform: status
    name: "Outside Plug 1 Status"

pin:
      number: GPIO12
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
    name: "Outside Plug 1 Button"
    on_click:
      min_length: 10ms
      max_length: 350ms
      then:
      - switch.toggle: relay_1
    on_double_click:
      min_length: 50ms
      max_length: 350ms
      then:
      - switch.toggle: relay_2

Thank-you for posting this! I was fighting with this plug for days… couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get it flashed. I tried switching the wires around but always left the GND wire in the first hole.

The SECOND hole is GND. That did it – thanks again.

Bought a set today (from costco) to try out. Packaging looks the same, but the chip is not an esp anymore.
It is a BEKEN (BK7231TON32) OTA. I’ll probably look for some old stock.