Broadlink Manager - Nicer way to Learn and Send IR/RF commands

That’s encouraging, if you have the same model. I haven’t tried yet but Chrome, what did you use? But I don’t think it’s because of browser, because other methods fail as well.

Yes, tried that several times. I have this in configuration.yaml (also tried redbean as well):

remote: 
  - platform: broadlink
    host: 192.168.0.123
    mac: 'C8:F7:XX:XX:XX:XX'
    type: rm_mini3_newblackbean

And this in developer tools (HA sees the device, and also gives notification to push remote button, so everything should be okay but nothing is being recorded:

How that is done though without adding the remote to app? Because you give your wifi ssid and password with that app, and only when you press “Next” the app sends that information to the device, and when that process is done, the device is added to the app. I have been reading lots of posts saying that just give your wifi info but don’t add device to app, but how’s that done actually? Not sure if that was possible before, and apps (both IHC and Broadlink) have changed, but you do both adding wifi info and the device to the app at the same time nowadays.

However, I have also successfully used Broadlink Manager windows program to send wifi-info to Broadlink Mini that is in AP mode after resetting, and as I have seen my device on my router’s DHCP list, it should work, but again the same result, no IR commands learned. Then again, I am not sure if BM windows program handles my device correctly, as it doesn’t recognize it anyway.

How that is done though without adding the remote to app?

I don’t remember exactly off hands. If you use the AP method (Best method to use imo), I think you would stop after it says to connect back to your wifi network. You don’t recall a step that says add your device to a room of some sort during the setup in the app? You don’t want to add. Might be worth a shot to also assigned a static ip address to your broadlink once you know the mac address.

Any rate, for the rm3, it is ok if you add it to the app. It will still work. I have one of my rm3 added t othe app and I was still able to integrated with HA.

I can’t think of any other reason why HA isn’t able to learn IR code and Broadlink manager detects your device.The original author of Broadlink Manager posted and said he is working on adding more devices. Hopefully, he will get a chance to fix this issue so many users have posted. I think the iHC app allows you to connect your device to router and still be able to cancel last part of the setup where you add the device to the app.

I am using Chrome for windows btw. Have you seen this video of connecting Broadlink? Might be worth a shot if there is something he mentioned you haven’t tried.

I appreciate your efforts, but for me, it just doesn’t work, and I really don’t know why. I hadn’t seen that video, but even when I watched it, there wasn’t anything new I hadn’t tried. No matter the method I try, it always works until I am trying to learn IR commands. Then the white led just stays on on Broadlink, until timeout, and no signal received. And as I have managed to use my RM3 via app, and even teaching it some IR command, the device itself is not broken. I really don’t know what’s the reason I get stuck with teaching IR commands either by HA, Node Red or Broadlink Manager.

By the way, IHC doesn’t seem to support AP mode, Broadlink app does. I even tried it so that I prevented my Broadlink MAC address from accessing internet completely via router settings, then resetting the device (again), and using Broadlink app AP mode to add device. The app says after a while it failed, probably because my RM3 cannot access internet, but I can see from my router that RM3 has connected to my WIFI network). And Home Assistant still doesn’t read IR signals after launching remote.learn_command -service via developer tools.

@Gilean, when you click actions, does it bring you to this screen?

@BrianMac Yes. And when I press “Learn IR Code”, it says “Press button” (or something like that) and my Broadlink led turns white, waiting for remote button press. No matter how many times I press my remote button, it doesn’t notice it :frowning:

What browser are you using? Does you browser have any extensions installed?

Chrome, and at least duceduc used the same browser. I have Ghostery installed, but have tried this with Ghostery disabled as well, without luck. And since Home Assistant learn_command ends up in same state as Broadlink Manager, I don’t think it’s browser related?

From the sound of your setup and the Broadlink is connected to your router, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. I think Broadlink app is the issue where the device has been connected to the app. When I received my second RM3, I used the Broadlink app to connect and when it did. Broadlink Manager sees it, but I am unable to learn any codes. Then I used the IHC to add the device and it worked.

By the way, IHC doesn’t seem to support AP mode, Broadlink app does.

IHC does support AP mode. It is kinda hidden. You first need to go through the process of connecting in discovery mode (or whatever it is call). Once the app cannot find any new devices, it will ask if you want to try in AP mode (look for a tab in the upper right corner. It should say AP Mode). Click on it and follow the instructions.

So delete the RM3 in your IHC and or Broadlink app and start over. Don’t power up the device. In IHC app, go through the process of adding a new device. Once the app cannot find a new device, it should ask if you want to connect via AP mode. Now connect the device and use a pin to reset the device in AP mode. You may need to do it 2 times. AP mode is LED flashing 5 times with a pause in between.

1 Like

THANK YOU!!! That did the trick! I don’t know how many hours over the last week I have tried to get this to work, but it finally succeeded!

Yeah, this is what I had been thinking for a while now, as there is no other reason why my device couldn’t learn commands with HA or Broadlink Manager, but was able to via official app!

I have seen many posts saying only “use app and just give wifi credentials” but that doesn’t say much, especially since there are at least two apps and two different ways of adding the device on each… And, those posts also said that don’t add any devices. Well, you have to add your Broadlink device, it just means do not add TV, Receiver etc (which I didn’t). Anyway, here’s the ONLY procedure that worked with me (Broadlink app AP mode did not):

1. Unplug the Broadlink device.
  2. Use IHC app to add new device. Select “universal remote” and your model, in my case “RM Mini 3”.
  3. Fill in your wifi SSID (password not needed at this stage) and let the adding process go through. It doesn’t find any new devices, so it will say “Cannot find the device to be added”.
  4. Select “Try other methods”
  5. Plug the power cord on your Broadlink device, and reset it twice to put it in AP mode as guided in the app.
  6. Connect your phone to BroadlinkProv network.
  7. Enter your wifi-settings (SSID and password)
  8. Start the pairing process by pressing “Next”. At some point it will say something like “You can return to your own wifi network now” but you don’t have to press anything, just let it go through. In the end, you should have new device added in IHC app (Broadlink RM mini 3). Exit the app.
  9. If you have Broadlink added in Home Assistant already, it doesn’t work yet. Restart HA, and now learn_command -developer tool WORKS! :slight_smile:

By the way, I didn’t remove my MAC address rule from my router settings that I had done earlier (it prevents my Broadlink device from accessing internet), so I am not sure if that is needed or not. But at least it works with internet access blocked.

1 Like

By the way, I didn’t remove my MAC address rule from my router settings that I had done earlier (it prevents my Broadlink device from accessing internet), so I am not sure if that is needed or not. But at least it works with internet access blocked.

Assign the Broadlink an ip address and for the Client Lease Expiration do not give a time. Leave the field blank for static.

That’s different thing, although very much mandatory, as unless you give your device a static IP, your HA integration will break every time your Router’s DHCP gives it a new IP address :slight_smile:

I meant that in addition to giving my device a static IP, I also configured MAC filtering on my routers settings, that prevents my device from accessing internet. At least that way my Broadlink is not able to “call home” :wink:

Wow, this is one unstable system, I have to say! I managed to learn HASS that one command earlier, but didn’t continue it then as it seemed that now it works. But when I tried to continue learning commands, it doesn’t work again! Same thing as before: no code received. Even when I resetted the whole thing and did exactly the same steps I wrote before! I even tried with my other RM mini 3, without success. I wonder what exactly is the right procedure of adding this device, at which point IHC app sends info to Broadlink servers that blocks all access from outside except via app…

When you had it working and was able to learn an IR code, did it stop working after a restart of HA?

I didn’t restart HA between when I had it working and when I noticed it didn’t work anymore. I did touch IHC software though, when I was writing that post where I explained which options to choose, but I didn’t finish the setup at that time. Maybe it still broke something? Anyway, now I cannot get it to work again :confused:

In the IHC app, can you navigate to Device Info for the rm3 device you have added or did you say you didn’t complete the setup? What does the Connection Status return?
Mine says Local Online

Yep, everything seems to be right here.

Access to the cloud: Load failed. Tap to retry
MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Firmware: 44057
Connection status: Local online
Data cloud: Load failed. Tap to retry
SDK: Load failed. Tap to retry

I just have to tell that although I had the same problems again yesterday, I tried to launch learn_command once again today - and to my great astonishment, it works again! :o I mean, I haven’t touched any IHC or Broadlink app, or done ANY changes regarding Broadlink whatsoever, only restarted HASS once or twice again because I did some unrelated code changes. (of course I restarted HASS yestarday as well, but it didn’t work then) I even haven’t unplugged my RM Mini 3 between yesterday when this didn’t work and today!

I don’t know why it sometimes works and sometimes not, but I guess I have to learn all codes now since the stars are in right position :smiley:

Hi all,
New version is up and running.
I have added logger for detaild info and made some bug fixing.

I have also updated the installation guide for raspberry pi Here
Cheers

I have been using broadlink manager for integrating my rm pro+ with home assistant but now i am facing a problem. while trying to learn the codes for my coship settop box I have seen that broadlink manager returns different codes for the same button pressed every time. Why is this so? How can i solve it? I see the same problem while using hassio learn command also.

Hello

Can you please elaborate on this as I could not understand it at all, sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Run from hub

docker-compose from hub

version: “3.6” services: broadlinkmanager: image: techblog/broadlinkmanager network_mode: host container_name: broadlinkmanager restart: always restart: unless-stopped volumes: - ./broadlinkmanager:/opt/broadlinkmanager/data

Now open your browser and enter your docker container ip with port 7020: http://docker-ip:7020

I have HomeAssistant OS on a Raspberry Pi but the Pi is dedicated to HA and I don’t know how to install Broadlink Manager on it

Your help will be very much appreciated as I am struggling with this for 2 months now

Cheers