Brother HL-L2340DW and MFC-J5320DW printer integration [AppDaemon]

I will not try your script, sorry.
I looked at using snmp before (snmp-walked my printer) and I found there is nothing of interest that I would want to use from my printer.
I’m interested in the contents of the ink-containers of my printer, this info is not available via snmp, only an indication that containers are either OK for use or need to be replaced.

You are not right. Printer send a lot of data via snmp but in hex format. I found a way to decode this data. This is an example of data from DCP-L3550CDW retreived via snmp: https://pastebin.com/qNUfwx7X

Please give a try my script.

Ok, sorry, will do :slight_smile:

Yes,it works, see here: https://pastebin.com/dXRTK5WP

After looking in more detail: I’m impressed, good job!

Thanks, I have positive result from four models so it seems that method works.

Hello @Bieniu, and thank you for you work.
I’m new to HA, i’ve installed AppDaemon and your python file brother_printer_status.py in /config/appdaemon/apps and edited ‘/config/appdaemon/apps/apps.yaml’ like this

brother_printer_status:
  module: brother_printer_status
  class: BrotherPrinterStatus
  host: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
  status_interval: 5
  info_interval: 600
  use_mqtt: true
  mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
  retain: true

but nothing happens, no entities or sensor to add in dashboard and no error logs. For information, my printer model is MFC-L2710DW series and i have “status.html” and “information.html” pages like what you posted above.
Thank you

This app works correctly only with HL-L2340DW. I’m working on Brother Printers real integration for HA but it isn’t ready yet https://github.com/bieniu/ha-brother

1 Like

Ok, I’ll monitor the thread for any news.

Thank you again (:

Test version of the Brother Printer intgration is ready. Look here: Testing new integration - Brother Printer

1 Like

Works well

Hello @Bieniu, I see you made good progress!
I will test this when the 0.104.0 update is available.

The version in ha .104 works great ! thanks (Brother Laser 2520dw)

1 Like

Same for me, thanks!!

1 Like

@Bieniu Hi, which codes are you using for snmp to get ink values in percentage?

Look here brother/const.py at 35b66442e316815240eafb7a6b9b323fda86c6e3 · bieniu/brother · GitHub

Well thank you, but I don’t understand how it works, could you explain that Please?

The data structure is explained here GitHub - saper-2/BRN-Printer-sCounters-Info: Brother Printers SNMP OctetStrings Counters Information

Thank you, but when I’m getting the data of brInfoMaintenance with snmpwalk it gives me Hex String A1 01 02 0D 14 A2 01 02 0D 14 A3 01 02 0D 14 A4 01 02 0D 14 FF, is it supposed to show this? (Sorry that I’m wasting your time but I’m complete noob at this :sweat_smile:)

Yes, this is a correct value and you have to decode it.

Again, sorry that I’m wasting your time (and probably annoying you) but I don’t know how to decode that hex, I don’t understand how to do it from that github repo :grimacing: Could you explain it to me (If I’m not wasting your time)

You have instruction here GitHub - saper-2/BRN-Printer-sCounters-Info: Brother Printers SNMP OctetStrings Counters Information

I don’t know what else to say.