šŸ”¹ Browser_mod - turn your browser into a controllable device, and a media_player

Bump

Can someone please tell me why this is still opening up full screen on my iPhone? I donā€™t know what else to try. Is there possibly some master setting over riding this code on the iPhone or in home assistant in general? This is just for a pop up card

tap_action:
  action: fire-dom-event
  browser_mod:
    service: browser_mod.popup
    data:
      title: NAME
      card_mod:
        style:
          ha-dialog$: |
            @media (max-width: 450px), (max-height: 500px) {
              div.mdc-dialog div.mdc-dialog__container {
                align-items: start;
                padding-top: 10px;
              }
            }
      content: test

Unfortunately, no, I ended up switching from WallPanel to FullyKiosk because I did not had the time to investigate further.
Itā€™s strange that the media player works perfectly in browser, fully kiosk, HA companion app, but not in WallPanel.
Hopefully in the next days / weeks I will have time to check it out, because Fully Kiosk has a delay and sometimes freezes, thatā€™s why I prefer WallPanel.

Donā€™t get excited too quicklyā€¦ i run fully kiosk on all my tablets and itā€™s still happening that media player become unavailable. Pattern is unknownā€¦just ā€œnow and thenā€.

Hey i dont think that what im askingā€¦I have already regeistered the devices, but i want Browser mod only pop up[ on the device im using ie:

If i on my mobile and i trigger a pop up, it appears on both, but i only want it to appear on my mobile, but if i were to do the same on the browser then it should only pop up on my browser and not my mobile as thats where i triggered the pop up??

bummer, I am not seeing that behavior at all.

I would also like to know this?

Is this physical authentication a requirement of the browser on my nest or a requirement of browser mod?

My use case was to push an audible warning to my hub when somebody approaches the door while switching the view to a tab displaying the front door camera. This worked previously.

The problem Iā€™m encountering is that Iā€™m using dash cast to display HA to the hub. Unfortunately I have to recast HA every ten minutes as Googles firmware currently stops the cast after 10 minutes. With the recast comes the physical requirement to confirm in the bottom right corner.

Not complaining just trying to figure out my options

Thanks

Mustnā€™t be anyone that this happens for.
I donā€™t understand why this wasnā€™t an issue in the v1, canā€™t it just use the same way to check if browser_mod is still active?

I might be misunderstanding your statement but I think the button in the bottom right is actually a form of physical security authentication. Itā€™s not too confirm that browser mod is running per se.

For me though it would require 144 physical confirmations per day which is impractical.

If the security check is imposed by browser mod then maybe there could be discussion, however, if itā€™s Google imposing this physical authentication thenā€¦ Well I donā€™t think they care that Iā€™m attempting to wrestle my own peice of hardware back from them.

I think weā€™re talking about the same annoying thing, small yellow browser mod icon in the bottom right which keeps popping up on our tablets after you dismiss it. Something that was not required in v1
(this is for always on devices only it seems)

1 Like

itā€™s also me on Github !
but no response at allā€¦
i tricked the problem but i hope an update soonā€¦

I am currently trying to use an input_select on a fire-dom-event popup. When the user makes a selection from that input_select entity, it closes the popup card. I have never used input_select in this way, so I am unsure if this is the correct behavior. Does anyone know if there is a way to stop this from happening?

This behavior only occurs on my PC, not on my iPhone.

maybe try auto_close: false perhaps?

The bottom-right logo (which seems more orange than yellow on my device) is supposed to appear when browser_mod did not get authorization to play sounds.

When I look at my HA companion logs I see Uncaught (in promise) NotAllowedError: play() can only be initiated by user gesture. The thing is the browser (chromium embedded as AndroidWebView in the companion app) refuses play demands if no click happened. browser_mod thus shows some doodle to click on, which supposedly starts a play request that will live as long as the app is open (I didnā€™t check the code yet)

I tried both autoclose and dismissable, but neither of those have mitigated the issue.

@dasbooter what kind of cameras are you using? I have Unifi Cameras that I can pop in to the nest hub without needing the browser. its been very reliable for me.

Thank you so much for explaining.

@cdrom1028 the camera is not the problem. Playing the audio warning is though. It appears this is a restriction that Google has placed though and browser-mod is only giving a prompt to comply. I canā€™t recall it being a problem with earlier versions of browser mod but I probably just missed it.

In previous versions of browser_mod, I already had a similar situation where right after starting the companion app no TTS message would play on my wall panel. I had to touch it somewhere and interact with it so that it became functional.

AFAIR, there even was a warning already in the documentation (only about IOS devices though).

The only thing that changed AFAIK is that browser_mod now displays something to ask the user to touch the screen instead of hoping they will know about it and intercept one action silently.

(That still doesnā€™t work correctly on my HA companion app though. I never got a working media_player in 2.x.x)

IOS or android? Curious what your application was?

In previous versions of browser_mod , I already had a similar situation where right after starting the companion app no TTS message would play on my wall panel. I had to touch it somewhere and interact with it so that it became functional.

Correct, even with previous versions browser mod was ā€œunavailableā€ after restart, so i agree that this must be browserā€™s limitaion. But then solution was easy: i just refreshed page with ā€œ?deviceID=ā€¦ā€ at the end of url (i used automation for this). Now this is not an option anymore, so after reloading browser mod is often not available (but not always, at least on my fully) until i click or touch somewhere. As a result many audio warnings are not played on my tablet if noone touches itā€¦
And, as said already, media player can become unavailable ā€œjust like thatā€, without restarts, without anyone touching tabletā€¦