BT/BLE 5.x adapter with external antenna for HA

Hi,

I’m trying to add BT-BLE capabilities to HA, so I checked the supported adapter list at
Bluetooth - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

Found that Ugreen are multiple times on the list, so I ordered one with the external antenna (I prefer this one for more range). Unfortunately it is not working at all… so I sent back to Amazon

I’ve tried finding one from the list, but sellers usually does not specify the chipset, so I cannot be sure if I order something matches the chipset on the list, it will work.

If anyone ordered some BT-BLE (preferably 5.x) adapter (preferably with 20 dBi external antenna, and it is working with HA, could you please share that link with me? It can be either amazon.de or alliexpress link

Thank you
Laszlo

Have you looked at this? Bluetooth Proxy — ESPHome

That also can be a solution, but I’m looking for a HW I don’t need a soldering iron for it :slight_smile:

You don’t need to solder an ESPhome bluetooth proxy, the ESP32 has built-in bluetooth. I use these, M5 stack Atom lite. You only need USB-C power, that’s it.

Thank you. Will it work with Homekit devices using BTLE? This is the main reason why I’m looking for something like this. I have couple of Nous Lightbulb which are Homekit only, working fine with Homekit, but to add to HA I suppose I would need something can talk to these bulbs BT first. I’ve tried adding them using the ‘remove but not turn off method’, HA discovered them, but when I tried adding them to HA it is reported ‘device already at another home’.

I couldn’t say, I only use mine for plant sensors and our toothbrushes. Someone else might have experience with these bulbs and proxies.

I don’t think so. I have several of these and they work really well, but they listen for Bluetooth traffic and forward it to Home Assistant over wi-fi - they’re only going to work on Home Assistant with the ESPHome integration.

So, it is working. After installing a simple BT-Proxy firmware on AtomS3 Lite, and I’ve turned on the Nanoleaf bulb, it was immediately discovered as a Homekit device and I added to HA. Control is also working, but -probably by design- it has significantly more delay than any of my other devices (most is using Zigbee). I think the real solution for these kind of devices to have a Thread Border router in HA, so I can provision these devices to Thread network managed by HA.

I have 2 of these ESP32 with External antenna ports and 8db External antenna with pigtails on a 1/4 acre lot and get relatively good coverage on my ESPHome Bluetooth proxy. I haven’t tested it fully but I haven’t noticed any dropouts.