Bureau of Meteorology (BOM Australia)

Looks like it resolved after a couple of hours. Just keep in mind that there might be an issue but if there isn’t anyone else having an issue maybe it was just me.
Thanks for the follow up,
Chris

Hi there thanks for your hard work in making this possible for us down under.
I have few components that do not work one that i do have automation on is cloud cover.
I am located in croydon nsw but my nearest weather station is bankstown problem is that there is no info for fallowing sensors:
Cloud -
Coverage -
BOM Cloud Type -
BOM Cloud Base unknown
BOM Cloud Type ID unknown
BOM Pressure mb unknown mbar
BOM Pressure msl unknown msl
BOM Pressure qnh unknown qnh
BOM Pressure Tend -

Does anyone else have similar problem or is just me or the weather station? ia any way to fix it?
Other do work like temperature and humidity and the wind.
I decided to move to BOM from Dark sky because of inaccuracy in cloud coverage sensor.

Thanks

@adifoto

I have had a quick look at the raw data output from the bom site.
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDN60801/IDN60801.94765.json

The cloud cover data doesn’t seem to be available for the Bankstown site. The pressure should be available though. Not all station have all the sensors.

I don’t know where dark sky gets it data from but it could be personal stations or an aggregate of the publically available bom station.

Thanks for your quick response. I see, that’s annoying, cloud coverage
is the only one that i really need it. I will see if i can get it for
another station although there are not that meany closer to me.
Although i love the delta temperature.
Thanks again for your good work.

Great work on the component, I was trying to enable the radar image with still_image without success… Any pointers? FYI I am just using the official component and didn’t add any custom code from your github.

• platform: bom
    zone_id: IDV60901
    wmo_id: 95866
    still_image_url: http://www.bom.gov.au/radar/IDR023.gif?{{ now.time().strftime("%Y%m%d%H%M") }}00
    limit_refetch_to_url_change: true
    monitored_conditions:
    air_temp

I think this is all you will need - the camera component to load the particular IDR. I believe it will work even withouty importing the BOM platform.

camera:
  platform: generic
  still_image_url: http://www.bom.gov.au/radar/IDR643.gif?{{ now().strftime("%Y%m%d%H%M") }}00
  name: RainRadar
  limit_refetch_to_url_change: true
1 Like

Perfect! I was reading the example above incorrectly :smile: thanks for the assistance.

Great component with so much data… thanks so much!!

Is anyone having issues with updates only after ~11 hours or so…

Data is available on BOM, and updates fine after a HA restart.

Thank you for the great component. May I suggest a new feature here:

Would it be possible to replace the value of cloud_oktas with the icon as shown in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okta?

Yea I cant seem to get it to auto update besides a restart of HA.

Seems like the latest release 0.38.1 has solved the problem for me…

no, actually amateur mistake by me, my raspberry pi was on the wrong timezone… simple fix by running raspi-config and choosing the correct AU timezone…

sorry to drag up an old thread but I cant get this component to load in Hass.io. I copied the setup text directly from the home assistant component page an d simply changed the location name and station ID. In my log i get an error saying that there is no key specified but there is no talk of a key being required…

can anyone help please?

So I now have this component working however I cant get the ‘weather’ option to work. Currently I have that line #'d out but if I try to include it, it wont work. Any ideas?

What does your config file look like?

I’ve recently started using Home Assistant and am finding it so simple to get work… except for when my RPi doesn’t want to work with me.

I have had success with this component though, set it up only a couple days ago.

I cant bring it up right now but it is exactly as per the instructions on the component page. I had another shot at including the ‘weather’ option which didn’t crash the component but just shows up as a blank sensor with no data

Maybe try a different location to work out if it’s a location problem or a HA problem.

Hi all,

I’ve tried to implement both (separately) the sensor and the weather component for BOM without success, and, instead, have received the following errors:

ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.bom] Check BOM (‘Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)’,)
ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.weather.bom] Received error from BOM_Current: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

Does anybody know why I’m getting this? The code I’ve put in is:

#Weather
weather:
  - platform: bom
    station: IDN60901.94675
    name: Bankstown

Spacing all seems fine to me.

Mine looks like this:

# BOM
  - platform: bom
    station: !secret my_bom_station
    name: !secret my_bom_name
    monitored_conditions:
      - apparent_t
      - delta_t
      - gust_kmh
      - gust_kt
      - air_temp
      - dewpt
      - rain_trace
      - rel_hum
      - wind_dir
      - wind_spd_kmh
      - wind_spd_kt

Works here.

You don’t need weather:

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply!

I’m guessing you put it underneath sensor: instead?

I just appropriated your code above, changed station and name, and it still doesn’t work for me, with the following appearing in my log (note the slight change from weather.bom to sensor.bom):

2017-12-17 19:13:10 ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.bom] Check BOM (‘Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)’,)
2017-12-17 19:13:10 ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.bom] Received error from BOM_Current: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)