Bureau of Meteorology (BOM Australia)

no, actually amateur mistake by me, my raspberry pi was on the wrong timezone… simple fix by running raspi-config and choosing the correct AU timezone…

sorry to drag up an old thread but I cant get this component to load in Hass.io. I copied the setup text directly from the home assistant component page an d simply changed the location name and station ID. In my log i get an error saying that there is no key specified but there is no talk of a key being required…

can anyone help please?

So I now have this component working however I cant get the ‘weather’ option to work. Currently I have that line #'d out but if I try to include it, it wont work. Any ideas?

What does your config file look like?

I’ve recently started using Home Assistant and am finding it so simple to get work… except for when my RPi doesn’t want to work with me.

I have had success with this component though, set it up only a couple days ago.

I cant bring it up right now but it is exactly as per the instructions on the component page. I had another shot at including the ‘weather’ option which didn’t crash the component but just shows up as a blank sensor with no data

Maybe try a different location to work out if it’s a location problem or a HA problem.

Hi all,

I’ve tried to implement both (separately) the sensor and the weather component for BOM without success, and, instead, have received the following errors:

ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.bom] Check BOM (‘Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)’,)
ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.weather.bom] Received error from BOM_Current: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

Does anybody know why I’m getting this? The code I’ve put in is:

#Weather
weather:
  - platform: bom
    station: IDN60901.94675
    name: Bankstown

Spacing all seems fine to me.

Mine looks like this:

# BOM
    station: !secret my_bom_station
    name: !secret my_bom_name
    monitored_conditions:
      - apparent_t
      - delta_t
      - gust_kmh
      - gust_kt
      - air_temp
      - dewpt
      - rain_trace
      - rel_hum
      - wind_dir
      - wind_spd_kmh
      - wind_spd_kt

Works here.

You don’t need weather:

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply!

I’m guessing you put it underneath sensor: instead?

I just appropriated your code above, changed station and name, and it still doesn’t work for me, with the following appearing in my log (note the slight change from weather.bom to sensor.bom):

2017-12-17 19:13:10 ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.bom] Check BOM (‘Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)’,)
2017-12-17 19:13:10 ERROR (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.bom] Received error from BOM_Current: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

No it’s not under sensor:

That code is exactly how it appears in my configuration.yaml file.

Thanks @DavidFW1960, for the sake of being thorough, are you able to also post up the component immediately above the BOM code in the configuration.yaml file?

Ok this is what you want I think… above the BOM there is a sensor…

# Track the sun
sun:

# Weather prediction
sensor:
  - platform: yr

# Certificate LetsEncrypt
  - platform: cert_expiry
    host: !secret my_letsencrypt
    port: 8123

# Certificate Check
# - platform: command_line
#   name: SSL Certificate Expiry
#   unit_of_measurement: days
#   scan_interval: 86400
#   command: !secret my_ssl_command

# BOM
    station: !secret my_bom_station
    name: !secret my_bom_name
    monitored_conditions:
      - apparent_t
      - delta_t
      - gust_kmh
      - gust_kt
      - air_temp
      - dewpt
      - rain_trace
      - rel_hum
      - wind_dir
      - wind_spd_kmh
      - wind_spd_kt

Thanks for that, David.

Yeah, the bom configuration in the above is subordinating to the sensor component. However, I managed to find the issue – for some reason the station ID I used originally was incorrect. I’ve since copied and pasted it again, and presto it works!

My BOM sensor is only updating on the reboot of my NAS. Its not putting out any errors and the time on my NAS is correct. My config is as below. Any ideas?

#BOM weather airport
  station: IDQ60901.94578
  name: Brisbane Ap
  monitored_conditions:
    - air_temp

#BOM weather inner beacon wind
  station: IDQ60901.94590
  name: Inner beacon
  monitored_conditions:
    - wind_spd_kt
    - gust_kt
    - wind_dir
#    - air_temp

#BOM weather redcliffe wind
  station: IDQ60901.95591
  name: Redcliffe
  monitored_conditions:
    - wind_spd_kt
    - gust_kt
    - wind_dir
    - air_temp
1 Like

In Home Assistant, how to I get BOM weather notification and broadcast weather forecasts it in google speakers (home group)?
Can someone provide a sample yaml?

service: tts.cloud_say
data:
  entity_id: media_player.announcments
  message: "The weather forecast for today is {{ states('sensor.river_ranch_short_text_0') }} 
    {% if is_state("sensor.cloud_city_pressure_tendency", "falling") -%}
    The barametric pressure is falling, increasing the chance of rain soon.  {%-endif %}"
1 Like