Burglar Alarm acceptable to UK insurance Companies and HA compatible

Is any one aware of a burglar alarm system that is both acceptable by UK insurance companies and provides an output for Home Assistant integration? I would be happy to have the alarm activated and deactivated by a keypad/ tag independent of HA but would like to integrate into HA the alarm status and output from sensors etc.

It look to me that currently home automation and insurance company approved alarms are mutually exclusive.

Try Visonic. They are UL approved and HA support them through this Visonic Powermax and Powermaster Component

Hi,

I received a notification from this post so I thought I would just introduce myself and give you a bit of guidance.

I’m Dave, the author of the Home Assistant Visonic Integration.

Before you commit to anything, I suggest that you read through my wiki so you understand that some Visonic Panel Types don’t work and that you are confident of setting up the hardware inside the panel. It’s not difficult but it does require some effort.

Let me know if I can be of any help and take care
:slight_smile:

Thank you Dave. Your custom component together with a Visonic Alarm look exactly what I need. I am still unsure if this will meet the requirements of my insurance company and whether self installation would be acceptable to them or whether it would need to be installed by an authorizedText security company.

Thanks PeteA. I need to find out if they have Nacoss / NSI approval.

I’d expect your insurers to require installation by a certified installer, require an annual maintenance contract and potentially fight any intrusion-related claim where the alarm was not armed (e.g. faulty, forgotten). Although our alarm was installed by a certified professional and under an annual maintenance contract we’ve had periods where it’s been non-functional (delays on parts etc.).

If you do go this route, be sure to confirm what their position is on this - I looked at available insurance discounts years ago when I had a non-smart alarm installed (Texecom Premier) and decided against claiming them as I couldn’t get a clear position from insurers on this scenario.

I do have our alarm integrated with HA (via a Konnected.io add-on board that gives high-level visibility of alarm system states and arm / disarm functions) but the integration does not replace the alarm system functionality so if HA / Konnected is offline the alarm functions traditionally.

Thats a bit of a tough one and one that should be really be investigated properly I am afraid. There is not one answer that fits all.

Alarm panels by themselves from all major manufacturers CAN be made complaint in that regard. Honeywell, Satel, Visonic, Texecom, Cooper etc. They have been tested and are compliant with the BSI / EN regulations with the OPTIONS they offer.

As far as I am aware it’s what you hook up to it and it’s compliance that will make the difference between certification or not. Almost every engineer will happily connect to it what you want and alter settings in the panel to suit your needs, but if it still complies with EN / BSI regulations after that remains to be seen. Latest EN / BSI supplements have regulations in regards to remote interaction with the panel and in the shape or form it needs to be done.

I am the maker of the Galaxy Gateway module ( https://seasoft.nl ) and struggled with the same question. I’ve built in provisions to be Grade 3 compliant, send tampers back to the panel, interact via RS485 / RS232 but that’s no guarantee it’s still up to spec. Part of it has todo with encrypted communication, another part with remote arming / disarming and the requirements around it.

For example, as per UK regulation, disarming of the alarm panel upon entry needs to be done via a Tag, not a pin code. It’s a setting in almost every panel. Engineer will happily remove that restriction but your panel is not compliant anymore.

The only advice I can give is to have all parties properly document it ( including the technical part ) with alterations in programming and sign off on it …

That’s a new one for me … I have a professionally installed and maintained Galaxy panel at the moment. Entry via main door uses a pin code (brass keypad has no tag reader option) . Entry via side door uses a tag.

So it matters where entry was gained or is always not upto spec because there is a keypad only option ?

Not sure if the actual entry route matters.

Standard for the galaxy panels in the UK that are installed with “UK standards” the option is BSI / EN / DD243 compliant setup which means no disarming via a pin code. Menu 51.55.3 ( G2 panels ) or 51.54 controls it and is enabled. Biggest hurdle is that it’s almost impossible to check up on. BSI documents are hidden behind NSI registration. Alterations of “UK standards” setting can result in degradation. To the best of my knowledge, altering this setting results in an installation that cannot be certified or at least not according to before mentioned standards. Wether it has a an impact on insurance … no idea.

That would assume that at least each keypad used for entry / exit and disarming is a prox keypad if the installation is certified.

Perhaps someone who is well versed in the matter can comment? :slight_smile:

If you’re looking for insurance certification two well trained rothweilers should do the trick. Chipped of course. Nothing uninvited will pass them :joy:

Personally I didn’t see the benefit in having the alarm approved by my insurer. It only reduced my premium by a marginal amount that was far outweighed by the maintenance of the system by a professional. Also it gives the insurance an easy way out. Had a burglar break in and you forgot to set the alarm? Well you’re not covered.

Personally I have a Texecom alarm with integration into HA. Signed up myself as an installer and spent some time reading the manual and forum. It’s been working great for a few years now.

I’ve been using this with my Texecom alarm with a SmartCOM with great success for the last 6 months or so.

1 Like

I was inclined to agree with your view and was going to install a none approved system and not tell the insurance company however some one in the insurance business who I know has told me that if you have an alarm and don’t tell the insurance company you can be in breach of the terms of your insurance.

OP’s question was not if you can integrate an alarm or need one certified, but if a certified installation is possible together with having an integration up to a certain level.

For having police response to either an intruder or hold-up alarm, certification is needed following at least EN50131 and depending on risk, a few others kick in as well. There are regulations around which information can be extracted and what is compliant in terms of remote arming and disarming capability.

90% is up to the installer to make an installation compliant through options and settings. That 10% that remains is if the modules that are used are tested and software capability is actually there to begin with.

As a rule of thumb:
Risk class 1 -> Grade2 -> no ARC connection -> No problem

Anything above class 1 -> requires the installer to justify the need of the usage of the additional software / hardware and document it appropriately. Even non-certified additional hardware is possible.

Mobile application access above class 1 only by an app that is supplied by the manufacturer.

After some asking around it turns out that apparently one of my modules is incorporated in a Grade 2, Class 2 certified installation with ARC reporting and insurance based on the above ( NL ).

Only advise, contact a proper alarm engineer that is familiar with proper interpretation of the rules and allot is possible :wink: