Button pressed events for ShellyBLU Button1?

Today, a ShellyBLU Button1 was delivered and after I put a battery into the device, it was discovered immediately by HA. After I finished the config, I got a new device with 2 entities:

• battery
  • packet_id (deactivated)
  • signal level (deactivated)

After I activated the packet_id sensor, the sensor value increased most(!) times I pressed the button. But that doesn’t work always. Even when I’m standing right next to my Raspi, some button presses don’t change the sensor value.

I looked around for bthome/bluetooth events in the developer view and googled around (I expected to get these events because I’m used to it from the zigbee integration) but I couldn’t found anything.

Especially because the only sensor that seems to somehow react to button presses was deactivated: What is the correct way to use a bthome button as an automation trigger?

It might not be a sensor, but instead an event on the event bus.
The developer tools can listen for these.

Nope, I checked that. There is just no Bluetooth or bt event. I even subscribed to all events, pressed the button several times and only got one or two state change events for the packet id sensor.

This is really strange, especially because shelly mentions the button’s compatibility with HA, but so far, its not really usable :confused:

Out of interest, what is your bluetooth adapter, is it a Shelly BT Proxy or do you have an USB adapter/ESPhome?

Did you try to use it as an iBeacon instead of pressing the button? I’m looking to use one of these as a presence detector (as an iBeacon)

1 Like

Today’s release announcement for 2023.5 contained a sentence about the support for that device. So, I guess when I later update my HA version, the button will work as expected.

I’m using the RaspberryPI onboard bluetooth adapther and I haven’t tried the beacon mode. I don’t even know how to activate it :open_mouth:

beacon mode isn’t active yet, it’s ‘soon’

Updating my HA atm to.5 to check if it works

EDIT: updated but still just see:

no succes :confused:

1 Like

Update on the Update:

With the latest HA update, the log remains empty still :frowning: and the entities are too empty too

BUT:
on a positive note:

You can create Automations and they work just fine :slight_smile:
and its fast!
nothing logged will hopefully be fixed soon.

Thanks for the update. I’m ok with only having events. Triggered automations are logged anyway.

But it seems that no one currently knows how to enable the beacon mode :rofl:

I was able to activate the beacon mode through the shelly BLE debug app,
but it needs updating :slight_smile: it was good to test the location function,
but if you turn on beaconing every ‘beacon’ (8secs) turns on the button pushes too :smiley:

1 Like

Let me know how your battery looks like after some days. Because I activated one 7 days ago, the other one 8 days ago. One battery is empty, the orher one says 38%.

Unfortunately, something I also read on the Shelly Community Forum on Facebook.

Maybe the battery that has been the delivered with the button was just crap or half-empty. I know we expect a quality battery in it when its delivered, however I wonder what happens if you put a new “quality” battery into it.

I ordered two of the buttons today, only purpose will be for iBeacon / presence.
At least this is a iBeacon that can be purchased in Europe, unlike those Blue Charm iBeacons…

I’ve just tried it out with the next HA version. These automations have the same problem I described in my first post: only some presses trigger the automation.

This behavior is just useless.

But you may be right with the batteries.

The Shelly ble debug took did update the firmware on mine from 1.0.3 to 1.0.5

Can’t find an update log so hopefully the update already fixed some bugs

Yeah, Shelly makes nice devices but fails completely with making usable documentation.

2023.5 has added BTHome events, so you should be able to use the Shelly BLU button1 when creating automations. It should support 6 click types, single, double and tripple click, all for normal and long clicks. The button will not not have button entities, only events. Im currently working on an update that keeps the entities like battery available, also when not using it for some time. But that will also need a firmware upgrade.

would be good if some stuff would actually get pushed to the device log too :smiley:

Will look into that.

1 Like

I also interested in the iBeacon functionality but what do you mean with Shelly BLE debug app?

1 Like