Button to turn on/off two devices

Hello

I am trying to work out what methodology is required to achieve my outcome of placing a single button or toggle on dashboard to turn on/off two devices.

I have a NUC & NAS I can currently turn both on via WoL switches and turn both off via Rest Commands utilising URL’s.

What would be best practice to fold these 2x WoL’s and 2x Rest Commands to a button or toggle so that the on state wakes both devices and off state shuts them down?

Any advice appreciated, I’m not having any success with my attempts of triggering an if/then automation from a button press.

To be clear…

• Are the devices always going to be turned on/off together?
  • Are the devices going to be turned on/off by other means?

Yeah they will be turned on/off together. The NUC hosts my Plex Server and the NAS has the media content.

I currently have two automations that turn on and off on time schedules 18:00-22:00. The new function I’m looking to add is for other adhoc times.

You have two options:

1. Create a group of your switches, turn that off with the button tap action. Or just put the group switch in your dashboard.

2. Create a script that turns your two buttons off, call that with the button tap action.

The Restful commands aren’t switches, I don’t even see them in UI as entities. They only appear as services.

That is why Tom suggested a script. You can call services from there.

An, ok. So one script that calls both WoL switches and Restful services and have the button on the dashboard as the trigger with tap action?

yes sir! Just reference the script in the tap action.

1 Like

Thank you. I will try this now.

Does this script look right?

sequence:
  - service: switch.turn_on
    metadata: {}
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id:
        - switch.nas
        - switch.plex
  - service: rest_command.nuc_shutdown
  - service: rest_command.nas_shutdown
mode: single
icon: phu:plex

The tap action is turning on both devices but the button status remains off. Tapping again after devices are on is not turning them off?

sequence:
  - service: switch.turn_on
    metadata: {}
    target:
      entity_id:  ### <--- Remove this duplicate  ####
      entity_id:
        - switch.nas 
        - switch.plex

Also change the service to switch.toggle of you want on/off with each tap.

Your rest commands will only turn off though. Do you have rest commands for on?

The entity ids are WoL switches, one for each device, the rest commands are to shutdown. I’ll adjust to toogle.

That will toggle your switches but these are still only shutdown with no way to turn on:

1 Like

So it’s not possible to have a single button toggle my devices on and off, on with wake on lan and off with rest command?

I’d setup the WOL switch integration with the turn_off option set to run the rest command. Then group those.

2 Likes

Wait, so these are the same devices?

Just add the rest commands to the WoL switches. They have the option for an off command:

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/wake_on_lan/#turn_off

EDIT: beaten to it by Ryan.

2 Likes

Is the Plex a movie service on the NAS or an actual device? You have a NUC restful command, but a switch called Plex so I was bit confused.

When I group them, assuming I call the group switch from dashboard button? Do I use tap or toggle for button?

I need to rename that switch. Plex is running g on the NUC. I’ll rename WoL switch to NUC and call the group switch Plex.