Buttons to start and stop a set of looping scripts

Hello, just installed Home Assistant to a Pi I had laying around and have a quick question.

I have a standing desk that I have integrated with HomeKit succesfully. It is able to control my desk and it has several device action built that I can utlitize.

I am trying to learn how to write a script(s) that will do that following.

Ultimately, I want the desk to go to height preset 1 by starting a script, timer down for 30 minutes, then start the next script, which goes to a different precept for 10 minutes, and then call the original scriptā€¦Iā€™m sure thereā€™s an elegant way to create a loop or some sort of for statement, but Iā€™m not familiar with the syntax.

So I have created both scripts as follows:
Script 1:

1. Device action - Press preset button 1
  2. Timer start on for 30 mintutes
  3. Run script 2

Script 2: Device Action - Press preset button 2
2. Timer start on for 10 minutes
3. Call script 1

Both scripts run in Single mode.

I would like a button that starts one of the scripts. I would also like a button that either pauses this loop, or probably better on resources, ends the loop.

Can I do that with the provided script GUI, or do I need to do it with manual code?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Sounds as if youā€™d be better using three automations for most of this.

1. Trigger when button 1 is pressed
  2. Trigger when desk as been at preset 1 for 30 minutes
  3. Trigger when desk has been at preset 2 for 10 minutes

To stop the automations running, use an input_boolean with a condition in each one so that it doesnā€™t run if the input_boolean is ā€œonā€.

If youā€™re just starting, use the UI. If youā€™re interested in yaml you can look at the code afterwards to see what it looks like.

Loops are not a good idea.

Automations #1: trigger only fires once.
Automations #2: the condition block.

2 Likes

You can do this in 1 automation with input_datetimes.

Create 2 input datetimes for each script. This will survive restarts and no timer is needed.

trigger:
- id: button1
  platform: state
  entity: button.abc
- id: button2
  platform: state
  entity: button.xyz
- id: 30_minutes
  platform: time
  at: input_datetime.a
- id: 10_minutes
  at: input_datetime.b
action:
- choose:
  - conditions:
    - condition: trigger
      id: button1
    sequence:
    - service: input_datetime.set_datetime
      target:
        entity_id: button.abc
      data:
       datetime: "{{ now() + timedelta(minutes=30) }}"
  - conditions:
      id: button2
    sequence:
      target:
        entity_id: button.abc
      data:
       datetime: "{{ now() + timedelta(minutes=10) }}"
  - conditions:
      id: 30_minutes
    sequence:
    - service: script.a
  - conditions:
      id: 10_minutes
    sequence:
    - service: script.b

You can add another trigger with an id to end the loop. Set both the input_datetimes to something in the pastā€¦ doesnā€™t matter what.

"{{ now() - timedelta(30) }}"

1 Like

Thank you everyone for this.

Iā€™m still learning. Iā€™ve been reading tutorials and watching videos, but I still donā€™t understand a lot of the basics. For instance, many of the videos I see show the three-dot menu button on the Home-Overview screen, top right on the blue bar, I donā€™t have those.

Others show their scripts showing up automatically on the dashboard as well, but that hasnā€™t happened for me either.

Iā€™m fine with writing code (copy/paste, adapt templates, etc), but I donā€™t know any languages per se.

So that I understand, items like ā€œbutton 1ā€ and button.abc, those are things I will need to create, and then get the name/ID for an put into this automation, correct?

You said you had buttons, I just went off what you said. If you donā€™t have buttons, you have to describe what you mean.

Sorry if it came off that way, I would like buttons, I have been trying to figure out how to create/add them. But the tutorials and help/how-toā€™s Iā€™ve been referencing seem to be outdated, with menu items and options I donā€™t have, or have been moved elsewhere (Iā€™m guessing).

Happy to learn, thank you for your help.

Create an input_button helper in the UI and use those. Settings ā†’ Devices & Services ā†’ Helpers tab

Just found it in helpers right as you replied, thank you.

Iā€™m getting the following error when I try to save the automation:
"Message malformed: extra keys not allowed @ data[ā€˜0ā€™]

- alias: StandingDeskCycle 
  trigger:
    - platform: state 
      entity_id: input_boolean.desk_automation
      to: 'on'  
    - platform: time
      at: input_datetime.raise_delay
    - platform: time
      at: input_datetime.lower_delay
  mode: restart 
  action:
    - choose:
        - conditions: "{{ trigger.platform == 'state' and trigger.entity_id == 'input_boolean.desk_automation' }}" 
          sequence:
              target:
                entity_id: input_datetime.raise_delay
              data:
                datetime: "{{ now() + timedelta(minutes=10) }}" 
            - service: script.raise_desk
        - conditions: "{{ trigger.platform == 'time' and trigger.entity_id == 'input_datetime.raise_delay' }}"
          sequence:
              target:
                entity_id: input_datetime.lower_delay
              data:
                datetime: "{{ now() + timedelta(minutes=30) }}"
            - service: script.lower_desk
        - default: []

Tried validating here and it says itā€™s fine: Best YAML Validator Online

This is the most helpful response and one that I was able to accomplish after struggling with the YAML. I kept getting errors that were incredible vague, and that no amount of reading forum/reddit responses could help me resolve.

Also tried having Gemini write me some code, same types of errors.

I made 3 Automations, and the solution is quite elagant, when the height of my desk is above or below a defined threshhold, after time it will press a preset button, as long as my booelan is set to true.