Buying a device to run Home Assistant (April 2022 edition)

I use several, but most of them are zwave switches, either connected to the Aeotec usb stick, or via a dedicated hub, which is publishing values over MQTT.

Also, some Shelly plugs. the Patchboard btw is a modbus, also connected to that dedicated hub/mqtt

hello, i bought a mini pc, however it comes with windows installed, do you recommend me to delete windows and leave home assistant as operating system or install home assistant on windows?

The windows is likely pirated anyway if it’s a Chinese PC. Delete it and use either HA OS or supervised with Debian

1 Like

Or Proxmox, with HAOS as one of the VM’s

Hello,

If your MiniPC is compatible with the HA OS, I would recommend to install that image.

32 posts were merged into an existing topic: Home Assistant Blue start/stop / connect putty

Sorry for my quite late question concerning your message.
What kind of operating system do you use on the T630?
Windows embedded?

I think it is Debian, or maybe Ubuntu, but to be honest I cannot remember.

For the ease of use, I would use now Home Assistant OS. You can install that easily. I did on a second unit, but I haven’t migrated my HA yet.

1 Like

PSA: If you run any remote Home Assistant instances and are technically inclined, I would recommend a Supervised installation (on Debian) instead of Home Assistant OS. That way, it will be a lot easier to remotely restore HA if something went wrong after a bad update (etc.). Because you have a full Linux OS that HA is running on top off, rather than having HA be the OS itself.

3 Likes

I’m actually using a RPi 3b, maybe you actually have an older one. For me it’s working just fine and I have quite a number integrations and automations setup. I have a smaller home and maybe have less devices than many. It’s a good enough place to start so long as you have a plan to upgrade later. I’m sure I will outgrow the RPI 3b in time but for now it’s acceptable.

3 Likes

I’m dropping my experiences with running ‘Generic x86-64’ on an old laptop here. I managed to flash it directly to the old HDD. Next I’ll buy a new SSD (and flash that) and add more RAM, and maybe decapitate the monitor and run it headless;)

I went on eBay and got an older NUC… it’s a powerhouse and I LOVE IT! I am not in the Raspberry Pi camp… all that reading and writing to the SD Card really pounds on it. You can hook an external drive to the pi and read and write to that… that will work much better.

It’s an alternative… I like the NUC as it has so much more power. I flash it with HAOS and off I go… very quick.

2 Likes

Today buyed new one because it is in offert https://amzn.to/3wveii5

Does your preferred installation “our operating system” allow me to install integrations from the community store?
I just installed to a HAOS VM on Vmware Player and cannot access the integrations I need, Wiser & Warmup

I’m not quite sure what you are suggesting, maybe I should ditch HA and install OpenHAB where these components are readily available

All official integrations of HA are listed here:

I do not see Wiser there.

But there is a community store called HACS, which i referred to, and there I did found Wiser.

So, if you decide to use that integration, you first have to install HACS and the Wiser inside HACS.

You have to read the docs and determine, if this is, what you are looking for…

The ZimaBoard might be a cheap alternative with quad-core x86 and dual NICs. Plenty of performance for lots of devices, automations, and even a few add-ons: Building a Portable Server- Zima Board

That is a great price. Let us know how it works out. My brix with the same chipset is fantastic.

I’ve a mini PC (under the telly) for streaming services, photos and occasionally showing the wife my spreadsheets to justify my motorbike and gadget expenditure.
Can I install HA and continue to use the PC for the other things?
Also, I had a Phoscon Conbee 2 dongle that I tried and was happy with but sold it as HA was taking up too much of my time. I intend to replace it with the best dongle out there now ( and available in the UK) . Anyone know what is the best one to buy now