Buying a device to run Home Assistant (April 2022 edition)

As you found out in the mean time, these sff / office systems are often very efficient.
I had a hp 260 g3 with an i3 and I got it to run as a HA server at around 2.5W…
that’s not too far off a Rpi and it’s a lot more powerful and robust than one of those (having had 4 of different generations, so speaking of experience).i only changed it for a nuc as I wanted a nice Akasa passive housing BTW, the hp is still running as a ha server at a friend’s now…

1 Like

I happen to have an extra Celeron N5105 Mini PC Quad Core 4 device and am wondering if it will run my Supervised HA aka HAOS?

Currently running on an ODROID “Blue”…

N5105? Very likely yes.

I ran mine on a J4105… for 2-3 years now. And my HAOS is one of the Virtual Machines inside that J4105 metal box.

You are confusing 2 install methods.

1 Like

in my country
new rasberry pi 5 8gb no adaptor no casing cost usd93
with case/sdcard32gb/power adapter/hdmi cable cost usd120
pi4 b cost usd 30
refurbish ordroid n2 cost usd 30
mini pc with 8gb 128gb ssd win 11 usd140
refurbish mini pc dell opti/lenovo m700 i5-6th 8gb 240ssd usd 124
new china brand mini pc 8gb 128gb emmc win 11 usd 88

after looking thru website refurbish mini pc around usd 120++
new china bramd mini pc usd 80++
new pi 5 usd 120++
new pi 4 usd 30++
refurbish ordroid n2 usd 30++

need advice here what i should get. brand new/ refurbis mini pc/ rasberry PI?
intend to just run HA server permenant.

i just brick my ihost (new) after running it for about a month from sdcard. looking for replacement

IMHO refurb odroid n2

new pi4 not good enough compare to refurbish odroid?

was told odroid cant run figate. :thinking:. which i intended to use

Dell Wyse 5070 if you can get one. Fanless, almost as low power draw as a pi and cheap.

2 Likes

The Dell Latitude 3140 11.6" laptop (available from Dell and for much cheaper refurbished from Woot) makes an excellent platform for Home Assistant. It’s fanless, available with 8GB of memory, has a real SSD, and because it’s a laptop, integrated battery, keyboard, and display. The Intel N200 processor has plenty of horsepower and is more than twice as fast as a Raspberry Pi 5’s CPU. Power usage is about 6 watts with HA running.

Debian 12 installs easily and everything works. The only thing I had to add was a USB Ethernet adapter.

1 Like

thanks all for the comment . i think i ll go in NUC direction. i do not want to go for laptop direction as this will need to monitor charging/discharging the battery. i know i can use HA to control but i do want to add unnecessarily more gadget to HA

HAOS 12.0 adds support for Odroid M1S, which is a great value SBC. Similar specs to HA Green, but with 64GB eMMC and a M.2 slot for SSD.

@cookiehome2021, I second this one.

https://hejdom.pl/blog/22-home-assistant/965-home-assistant-sprzet-dell-wyse-5070-gdy-chcesz-czegos-wiecej.html

The guy wrote a good review about them, and power consumption supposed to be really great.

I wouldn’t call that a “mini computer”. I grew up with mini computers like the DEC PDP8, for example.

But, I would not recommend an eMMC boot device. I would much prefer an M.2 SSD or even a 2.5-inch SSD.

Officially their are called SFF - Small Form Factor computers. This helps a lot with Google search :wink:

True, but while Amazon is advertising then as “mini PC” that requires some searching too.

Actually the ones most people use are USFF - ultra small form factor - which are generally about 1l in volume.

3 Likes

dell wyze also mentioned as thin client.
some advertise as mini pc

so what the difference between this and nuc?

Branding. Otherwise look at the specs

1 Like

The Dell Wyze range are generally thin clients. (The latest thin clients from Dell have dropped the Wyze name and uses OptiPlex, so hard to differentiate them anymore.)

As a Thin Client, it has everything built in with a low power consumption, low processing power, as its main task is to be only a client of some cloud or local server. Nothing more, than an end client with a monitor, keyboard and mouse. All the heavy lifting happens on the server side.

From that perspective, as being a thin client with low specs for daily use as a computer, it is just underpowered, but running home assistant or some low processing requirement home lab stuff, they are perfect. The bigger models offer options to replace memory and ssd as well, or add some fancy networking.

Other NUCs can come with high end processors and other high end specs, like the Intel Skull Canyon NUCs, but they come with higher power consumption and price tag as well.

At the end of the day both lines are a x86-64 PC with an AMD or Intel processor.

And the big point for using a thin client, most of them by design are passive cooled. So you don’t need to worry about noise from them. They can be showed behind a TV as many of them has mounting solutions for monitors. And it can be in the middle of the house in a living area without any interference to people, like any other Hub or Bridge solution would be from other IOT manufacturers (Philips Hue, SmartThings, Hubitat, IKEA Dirigera, etc…). They would not stick out as an obscurity from design, disregarding the USB ports on the front.

2 Likes