Bwalarm (akasma74 edition)

Hi, the addon works like a charm from it’s panel but unfortunately my lovelace card won’t show the numpad

It will show the number pad when required. i.e. for disarming. If you want it to show up for arming you have to set the option “Require a passcode to set the alarm:” to On.

2 Likes

Thanks @tom_l

Also I highly recommend installing card-mod by Thomas Loven so that you can change the minuscule size of the font of the built in card:

type: alarm-panel
entity: alarm_control_panel.house
name: Alarm Panel
states:
  - arm_away
style:
  '#keypad mwc-button':
    $: |
      button {
        font-size: 24px !important;
      }
  '#keypad mwc-button:nth-of-type(12)':
    $: |
      button {
        font-size: 16px !important;
      }
2 Likes

A quick little mock-up, but what do you think of something like this:

I know I’m a little late to the party with this but with regards to ‘zones’, they are actually the individual inputs of an alarm system. The correct term you guys are thinking of is ‘area’ whereby an area is a group of ‘zones’ (inputs). Yes, areas would be pretty cool to have. My professional alarm system in my house has two ‘areas’ which I have used as inside and outside my house. This custom component does alaow for it in a way because we have ‘away’, ‘perimeter’ and ‘home’. You could assign some inputs (entities our our HA world) to ‘perimeter’ and have that as a subset area of ‘away’.

@onkytonk from your picture it’s not clear if there is any relationship between “Home” and Zones and “Away” and Zones, and it’s a bit confusing.

@sparkydave so how do you use areas? do you select what areas to include and then say Arm?

On my hard-wired home alarm I can arm area 1 or 2 independently. Zones (or HA entities) can be a member of either area, or both. It just depends how you want to arm things. Once I have it finished the way I want, area 2 will be my two garden sheds and area 1 will be the rest of the house and garden. I will then be able to arm everything ‘away’ when I’m out, or area 1 ‘home’ when I’m inside, area 2 ‘away’ (inside the sheds) even if I’m home.

An example could be having area 1 being the downstairs of a house and area 2 upstairs. Of those areas you can also arm ‘away’ or ‘home’. Following the example you might want to arm downstairs in ‘home’ mode while watching TV or something (and have the bottom floor partially armed) but upstairs not armed at all. Then if your bedrooms were upstairs you could arm area 2 (upstairs) in ‘home’ mode when in bed. When away from the house you would arm both areas in ‘away’ mode.

Still don’t get it. All that Away, Home and Night modes in fact are just lists of sensors (you call them HA entities), and if such a sensor becomes active, it immediately or after a delay triggers alarm.
So I just don’t understand what “Arm Away” means if you have areas (i.e lists of sensors) and how it is different to “Arm Home”…

Yes, away, home, night etc are just groups of sensors, but they are modes. In an alarm, there are: zones (inputs / entities), areas (groups of zones) and modes (how an area is to react to state changes, or in other words, subsets of areas). ‘arm away’ would normally be all sensors (doors, windows, motion), whereas ‘arm home’ might just be doors and windows for example. Areas allow you to do both of these in two separate places (areas) as if they were essentially two alarm systems.

@sparkydave I agree with the terminology. Only reason I used “zones” is because its what a traditional hard-wired alarm would use.

I installed commercial alarms for many years and zones were always inputs, areas were groups of zones. Even my current brand new alarm is labelled this way.

Thanks @AhmadK. It took a couple of reboots, but I see the Alarm blade in HA now. My interface doesn’t look like yours - I’m getting this:

I’m also seeing this in my log:

2019-07-09 03:48:45 WARNING (MainThread) [custom_components.bwalarm.alarm_control_panel] [load_log] File /config/resources/bwalarm/bwalarm_log.json does not exist

Did I miss something?

if persistence is on, but it’s your first run (i.e there was no arm/disarm actions to log) then there is no log file and nothing wrong.

your alarm panel seems strange though, here’s how it should be:

Can you try a different browser maybe? And also check that all custom_components/bwalarm/resources subfolders are there.

Have to admit that it does not make sense to my brain. “how an area is to react to subsets of areas” doesn’t sound valid :wink:
And

doesn’t sound like “how”, it’s “what’s included”.

Until I understand what’s what and how it’s all linked, there is no way to write any code.

I’m configuring this nice alarm and I have detected a problem. I have been looking for related info or configuration option but no success.

I am able to activate the alarm with and without code, for the same master user or ‘HA’ (in logs)

HA set the alarm in Home mode

It is the same log if I use the master passcode configured in the Alarm section (code: in the bwalarm.yaml) or no code, just pressing the Home button.

For the rest of users, if I use their codes they are logged properly.

I cleared the cache of my wall tablet. My concern it is the alarm could be activated with no code.

Please let me know if I am doing sometring wrong.

There is Require code to arm in Settings → Alarm if I get your question right.

Yes, it is set up in the UI and the config file shows code_to_arm: true

I can reproduce it and need to think if it’s a bug or a feature… :wink:
Thanks for reporting that anyway

1 Like

Hello, i just installed the BWalarm by the community tab. but i can’t open the alarm tab from the menu i get the error:
“Unable to load custom panel from https://HOMEASSISTANT.duckdns.org/api/panel_custom/alarm