Bwalarm (akasma74 edition)

If you can reproduce the issue and open a new one on Github, I’m happy to look into it

What exactly and how does break the component?

use house_alarm as name and it will be your object_id - part of entity_id in terms of HA.

If you want to change what’s displayed on panel (possibly you don’t) then it’s panel_title at panel level.

To reproduce the issue, as above, if I just add
name: House Alarm

into bwalarm.yaml, the entity id does indeed change to
alarm_control_panel.house_alarm.

I can even add this entity into the alarm card in lovelace and control the alarm.

However, it breaks the Bwalarm control panel, and I get the message as above.
“This componenent is not working. Check the Home Assistant log for more details.”

I’ve checked the log - there is nothing pertaining to this error at all.

I mean, its not a huge deal breaker, but I just don’t understand how I’ve had it working for so long without any issue. I’ve now had to go through and change the entity ID for all my automations.

I’m about to link two Home Assistant instances together with one as master and one as slave. I therefore think I need to rename my alarm_control_panel.house so that I can differentiate between the two. I tried to do this in /config/custom_components/bwalarm/alarm_control_panel.py
line 401 by renaming

await hass.components.panel_custom.async_register_panel(
        webcomponent_name='alarm',
        frontend_url_path="alarm",
        html_url=url,
        sidebar_title='Alarm',
        sidebar_icon='mdi:shield-home',
        config={"alarmid": "alarm_control_panel.house"},
    )

but this did not work! :rofl: :rofl: any tips?!

EDIT: Figured it out. There was another line to edit (line 305) that seems to have done it.

Cheers

So what does your master-slave concept mean?

That I’d be able to view and interact the sensors from one HA directly natively in the other

So I take it that you have 2 HA instances and each one has its own bwalarm component, is that correct?
And after making the changes you mentioned above you are able to see/control both alarms from the master HA, was that your goal?

Yes, yes, yes :slight_smile:

And do you have 2 HA instances because you cannot have 2 alarm instances or there is another reason to that?

One’s at work, one’s at home

Is it possible to not display the alarm icon in the sidebar? I would like to be able to go there if I type in the url, but I don’t want it to clutter up my sidebar otherwise.

You can hide/reorder/customise the sidebar with this:

I’m going to venture into this strange and mysterious land now.
I have the door sensors, I have the alarm device, all zigbee, I’m going to get smoke detectors as well.
So right now I have a very simple set of node-red rules that just announces the alarm state to all google home devices when the state changes.

But then what?
Is there some sort of documentation that explains how to build these alarm flows / automations?

Basically you need to create automations that react to change of your alarm’s state - here’s some examples.

1 Like

Perfect, thankyou! I think I got my head around it! Now I just need to set up some sort of tablet as an interface for it, thankyou very much for the pointer. For me it was the config examples that dropped the dime :slight_smile:

Hi @AhmadK
Now that I’ve gotten most of the flows to look nice, and send messages, starting alarms etc. I need to create a way to have the user interface shown.
I’ve set the ‘hide ha sidebar when armed’, but it doesn’t hide it.
Is there a way to have it not show the sidebar at all? (setting up a dedicated small tablet for this).

I think you need to configure the account that you use on your tablet, namely - log in as that user, click on the circle at the bottom left corner of the HA screen and then enable “Always hide sidebar”.

1 Like

Would anyone be interested in adding an option beep sound on the device during arming/warning states?
In my use case I have a tablet mounted to the wall that runs my alarm panel, during the arming/warning periods while it is counting down there is no indicator that a countdown is happening.
My thought is to add a new option and have it play a small .wav file during the countdown.
I’ve added the sound and everything to my setup and it works beautifully, just wondering if others would be interested then I’ll update the options page and submit a PR.

This be done with the existing alarm automation options.

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
    to: pending
  - platform: state
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
    to: warning
  action:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data_template:
      entity_id: media_player.entranceway_speaker
      media_content_type: music
      media_content_id: /local/warning_beeps.mp3

You just have to make sure your media file is as long as the arming / warning periods.

I was thinking about some sort of audio confirmation of arming/disarming as it is implemented in commercial alarm systems.
It won’t harm if you share your approach with the community.

1 Like

I did something like this previously using a small piezo buzzer on a relay. I just don’t like that it adds another element into my alarm box. I was thinking like akasma said much like commercial alarms that beep at the control device.