CalDav Still a Secret to Me

Hi Everybody,

I am still new to HA and especially to editing YAML by hand. Therefore, I am struggling with the CalDAV integration.

My goal is:
I have my own Groupware server capable of serving CalDav. I have set up a user named HomeAssistant. This user has a calendar on that server named “Kalender” Now, I would like to make calendar entries like:

Monday, Sep. 10th, 9:00 to 18:00 “Lichterkette”

With this entry, I would switch on a Shelly PlugS on this given day from 9:00 to 18:00. Of course, there must be a relation between this PlugS entity and the entry name “Lichterkette”.

I have already added the following to my config.yaml:

# Calendar configuration.yaml entry
calendar:
  - platform: caldav
    username: [email protected]
    password: !secret MDaemon
    url: https://mymailserver.zzz
    custom_calendars:
      - name: "LichtSchlafzimmer"
        calendar: "Kalender"
        search: "LichtSchlafzimmer"
      - name: "Lichterkette"
        calendar: "Kalender"
        search: "Lichterkette"

In the documentation, only the use of calendar entries as condition for a time trigger is described. Is it possible to use the calendar entry as trigger for the automation itself? Can you tell me how to do that?

Is there a log where I can see if the calendar entries are retrieved correctly?

Thanks so much for your time.

Ole

Yes, using a Calendar Trigger (examples are in the linked documentation).

Great, thanks for that answer. I did not look into the calendar documentation, only CalDav.

One more question: should the code in the configuration.yaml create an entity (which it did not) or do I have to specify the entity by hand when creating the automation?

Thanks again.

Ole

According to the documentation, yes.

Hm, that is how I read it, too. So, there might be a problem in the CalDav connection. I will dive into that.

Thank you for helping me out!!

1 Like

You’re welcome but you marked your own post with the Solution tag yet it doesn’t contain the answer to your original question.

Oops, sorry​:grimacing::flushed:

1 Like