Calendar events: template sensor or input helper

Hi to community,

I would like the opinion on best approach for calendar events. Example case: I have a calendar which I have the period of vacations and I would like to have a condition in multiple automations to “disable” the actions if I’m in vacations. I have already do this with a input helper but this requires an additional automation which will switch the input helper. I was wondering if it is better to be create a template sensor or even if there is a even better approach.

Thanks!

The calendar object turns ‘on’ and ‘off’ depending on if your event ‘matches’. So basically the same as a template sensor for the calendar already. Why create another?

I personally do this with the Google calendar integration and have a vacation calendar. If there an active event now. The calendar appears on. Therefore vacation mode is on. (is like your toggle but automatic)

1 Like

The approach you should take depends on how you use your calendar and what functionality you need.

If, as in Nathan’s comment, the calendar in question only holds events that indicate vacation times and includes all vacation events, then there is no need for another entity. But, if you need to be able to manually toggle “vacation mode” on and off or your calendar includes events that are unrelated to vacation times, you will need another entity.

Describe how you use your calendar and the functional needs you have for the “vacation mode” entity so we can point you in the right direction.

1 Like