Call service node Data inject msg.payload

I’m using a call service node to call alexa_tts. I want her to say the string from the msg.payload from the previous node.
A working Data field looks like this:

{"message":"This is a test"}

How do i replace “This is a test” with the string in the payload from the calling Node?

1 Like

If you using the latest node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket

{"message":"{{payload}}"}

Otherwise you’re going to have to use a template or function node.

15 Likes

Thanks Kermit. Worked perfectly!!

Can I piggy back off of this? I need to do the same thing, but I need to send an integer not a string.

If I try {"value":"{{payload}}"} HA complains that extra keys not allowed @ data['0']

If I try {"value":{{payload}}} the node in Node-RED won’t accept it…

1 Like

This has to with you sending more data than the service call was expecting. Make sure you’re not passing any extra data in msg.payload.data for the previous nodes.

I finally managed to work it out. I had to use a template in the end to send the data through to the call service node.

I was actually trying to send the contents of a flow variable, so in my case it was {"data" : { "value" : {{flow.MinCool}} } }

I’m having the same troubles, thanks to this thread I can use a string but having problems with a value.

Say for example I want to call a brightness percentage of 80% my json would be

{"brightness_pct":80}

I have tried all of these with no luck

{"brightness_pct":{{payload}}}
{"brightness_pct":"{{payload}}"}
{"brightness_pct":{ "value" : {{msg.payload}} }
{"brightness_pct": {"data" : { "value" : {{msg.payload}} } }}
{"brightness_pct": "{"data" : { "value" : {{msg.payload}} } }"}

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction, I simply want to insert a value into the json data field of the “Call Service Node”?

I have tried both string and number and the debug confirms both of these is a value/number.

I’m also happy to use a function of some type but the following doesn’t work due to these " being required for json and mean string in java.

msg.payload="{"brightness_pct":"+msg.payload+"}";
return msg;

and then just have {{payload}} in the data field.

I also tried:

msg.payload='{"brightness_pct":'+msg.payload+'}';
return msg;

and this passes through the correct looking string but back to the following error:

10/2/2019, 4:41:39 PMnode: RGB1 brightnessmsg : string[73]

“Call-service API error. Error Message: extra keys not allowed @ data[‘0’]”

I think I’m having the same type of trouble in this threat

If I find a solution I’ll try posting it here too.

To to this you need to send a data package in the function node:
Then either add the other values to your service call node, or just leave it empty.

newmsg = {}

newmsg.payload = { data: { “brightess_pct”:msg.payload} }

return newmsg;

Is the correct way to have

Msg.Payload
Msg.data.value1
msg.data.value2

or as I think you are writing

msg.payload.data.value1
msg.payload.data.value2

?

You can easily check as well as copy the path to your message using the debug node. Usually it would be msg.data.value1

Hi Wayne

Take a look in the thread I linked earlier, I think I have a solution you might need.

I FOUND IT!!! I’m sure there is an easier way but I can make it work!!

I watched this vid and used the first two functions and got it to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ZY3CEsiow&t=970s

Just to explain my test situation…
I have an input slider called “brightness” that goes from 0-100.
I have an event state reading this slider which outputs a string consisting of a number between 0 & 100.
This goes into a function node with the following code. This converts to JSON.

var data={"brightness_pct":+msg.payload};
node.log(typeof data);
msg.payload= JSON.stringify(data);
return msg;

This goes to another function node with the following code. This gets the number back (in a different format???). This is where I think it could be more direct but yet to find a way.

p=JSON.parse(msg.payload);
node.log(typeof p);
msg.payload=p.brightness_pct;
return msg;

Now this gets passed to a call service node and the data field looks like this.

And now my slider controls the brightness. The reason behind all this is I have 3 RGB strips in one project and would like the one slider to control all three at the same time, also by doing this I can “sync” patterns across all three.

I hope this helps people out.

1 Like

You are all going to laugh…

I changed the event state reading the slider to output the value (state type) as a number instead of a string…

wired this directly to the call service nodes with the following in the data field

AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

3 Likes

I learned to sync different lights, put them together in a light group, works wonderfull!

But can you link the flow/configs for your slider and nodes? I’d like to see it :slight_smile:

Well I also wanted to have better control over custom patterns that actually sync together and this is the beginning of that.

Excuse the name, it is just a test at this stage

2 Likes

Truth be told, I use the light group to see if it’s on or off and turn them on individual.

I’ll link what I do later.
At the moment I’m struggling with the correct light color temperature!
Do made a long array with Kelvin colors in that I’m using atm.