Camera Area Detection via a USB Cam, a Pi and 'Motion' - triggering Hass events & a local Linux PC notification

Starting with a usb webcam, a Pi or similar (Odroids are great for this, better than a Pi) running Raspbian or Ubuntu Server.

Install Motion:

sudo apt-get install motion

Then edit the motion configuration file:

sudo nano /etc/motion/motion.conf

If you’ve never used Motion before at a minimum you’ll need to change this setting so you can view the camera from another pc and use it in Home Assistant.

# Restrict webcam connections to localhost only (default: on)
webcam_localhost on

Change the ‘on’ to ‘off’.

Settings such as frames-per-second, camera dimensions, etc. should also be tweaked but if you’re new to Motion you can leave them as they are for now except the above. Tweak them later after having a look at the github guide, and checking you can connect to the camera.

Scroll back up the config file, and look for this:

# Detect motion in predefined areas (1 - 9). Areas are numbered like that:  1 2 3
# A script (on_area_detected) is started immediately when motion is         4 5 6
# detected in one of the given areas, but only once during an event.        7 8 9
# One or more areas can be specified with this option. (Default: not defined)
;area_detect value

I want to trigger events on movement in area 4 and 5, then run a script which is on the same device that Motion is installed on named call_hass.sh, so the above changes to this:

# Detect motion in predefined areas (1 - 9). Areas are numbered like that:  1 2 3
# A script (on_area_detected) is started immediately when motion is         4 5 6
# detected in one of the given areas, but only once during an event.        7 8 9
# One or more areas can be specified with this option. (Default: not defined)
area_detect value 4,5
on_area_detected /home/pi/call_hass.sh

call_hass.sh uses a curl command to run a script on Home Assistant, and the script increases a variable by one every time something happens in area 4 or 5:

#!/bin/sh
curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"entity_id": "script.increment_cam2_zone45_variable"}' http://192.168.1.23:8123/api/services/script/turn_on

Don’t forget to make the script executable:

chmod u+x call_hass.sh

To get Motion running in the background simply type:

motion &

or edit /etc/rc.local and place that command in there so it runs automatically. We are finished with the camera set-up :slight_smile:

So now in Home Assistant, we need to create a variable & the script to increase the variable’s value by one.

For variables in HA I use this:

Follow the handy instructions there, and add the following into your configuration.yaml

variable:
  times_motion_cam2_zone45_triggered:
    value: 0
    attributes:
      friendly_name: 'Times Camera Two - Zone 4 or 5 Triggered'
      icon: mdi:cctv
    restore: true

In your scripts.yaml add this, it is what the bash curl command is calling:

increment_cam2_zone45_variable:
    alias: Increase Cam2 Detection Counter by One
    sequence:
      - service: variable.set_variable
        data:
          variable: times_motion_cam2_zone45_triggered
          value_template: '{{ (variable.state | int) + 1 }}'

Finally, we need an automation that will trigger every time that variable changes, in your automation.yaml:

- alias: Camera 2 Zone 45 Motion Detected
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: variable.times_motion_cam2_zone45_triggered
  condition:
    - condition: time
      after: '09:00:00'
      before: '21:00:00'
    - condition: state
      entity_id: 'input_boolean.motion_detection_alerts'
      state: 'on'
  action:
    - service: light.toggle
      entity_id: switch.whatever_light_you_want_to toggle
    - delay: '00:00:05'
    - service: light.toggle
      entity_id: switch.whatever_light_you_want_to toggle

You will, of course, have your own time settings, and actions.

I’ll cover the PC notification bit further below.

Also create an entry in your input_boolean.yaml, so you can turn on & off this automation from a HA page so you’re not bothered by it at times you’ll be in & out across that zone, e.g. gardening etc.

motion_detection_alerts:
  name: Motion Detection Alerts
  initial: on
  icon: mdi:video-switch

Here’s a group.yaml entry for them:

Cam2 Zone45 Motion:
  - variable.times_motion_cam2_zone45_triggered
  - input_boolean.motion_detection_alerts

If you want the counter total to reset at midnight, add this to your automation.yaml:

- alias: Reset Camera Zone Counter at Midnight
  trigger:
    platform: time
    at: '23:59:59'
  action:
    - service: variable.set_variable
      data:
        variable: times_motion_cam2_zone45_triggered
        value: 0

And that’s the main Home Assistant part covered :slight_smile:

So, for those interested here’s how to have Home Assistant (in this case Hassio) send a pop-up notification to your Linux PC:

First up, on the pc:

sudo apt-get install notify-osd

Having the Home Assistant logo is a nice touch, and it’s here:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-assets/blob/master/logo-pretty.png

Save it somewhere on your pc.

I’ve used a command_line switch for the next bit, there are other ways. In the switch version, add this to your switches.yaml:

- platform: command_line
  switches:
    notify_laptop_of_motion_detection:
      command_on: ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -i /config/.ssh/id_rsa [email protected] "notify-send 'Motion Detected' 'Driveway Activity Zone 45' -i /home/homelaptop/logo-pretty.png -t 5000"

Hassio needs a little extra for an ssh into another machine, I reckon for Hassbian the command_on would be simpler:

ssh [email protected] "notify-send 'Motion Detected' 'Driveway Activity Zone 45' -i /home/homelaptop/logo-pretty.png -t 5000"

In the above automation entry you could now add this:

- service: switch.turn_on
    entity_id: switch.notify_laptop_of_motion_detection

It will look like this, though saying 45 not 4:

notify-pop-up

I think that’s everything, and it’s certainly a bit longer than I thought it would be when I started typing :wink:

4 Likes