Camera Stream crashes entire network

Hey there,

Could anyone help me diagnose why clicking on a camera stream causes my entire network to crash? I thought it was a coincidence but tried it again and same thing with red lights on the router which rebooted straight after.

I’m using a Pi3B+ connected via ethernet to the main router running the version 0.94.3 of HASSIO.
In the same room I have a pi-zero connected via Wifi running latest version of ‘Motioneye’.

In my configuration I have the following (might not format well below)

camera:

I can see the stream when I click on it in lovelace. Its about 5 / 10 fps so I know its live. But then the network crashes.

It only seems to have been an issue in the last couple of weeks and one that I know appears now to be connected to the live stream. The router logs don’t show much so wondering if there are any logs on the Pi I could check to see what is happening?

I didn’t think ip traffic through a router could cause it to reboot. I would try another router if you have a spare around. Also, are you using the router as a switch (streaming on the same lan) or as a router in this situation?

Yeah is pretty bad alright if a device can DOS the network. Just tested it out again and yep crashes when I click on the stream in HASSIO.

There are no issues however when I log into the motioneye backend and view the stream threre. Its pretty quick actually so making me think maybe its more related to the PI running hassio connected directly to the router.

Router is a Virgin media SuperHub. Granted i’ve heard its pretty bad i’m’ only having this issue recently. I’ve another router connected via ethernet running a separate network for IoT things

Is router rebooting? Sound like stream is hogging all bandwidth.
What do you do to recover? Stop stream and all OK or take time to recover after stream stop?

When I click on the stream I can kind of see it sluggish. So I click out of the stream after about 5 seconds and next I can see red lights on the router. So it appears as soon as I click on the stream the router has crashed and auto rebooting

Strange though, have just tried on my phone and it works perfectly. No crashes. Tried lots of times.

When I use chrome on my macbook to check it crashes.

PS quick update to this that I tried to download a newly created snapshot from HASSIO configuration page and also crashes network.

I have exactly the same problem. I have a Ubuntu Server guest running HASSIO docker in Virtualbox on a Windows Server 2016 host. When I open the camera stream, my entire network crashes and my modem / router restarts. I have this in a ffmpeg and mjpeg camera platform. When I open the camera stream in VLC or other media player, nothing is wrong and everything works fine.

How is it possible that my modem reboots when I open the camera stream within HASSIO?

I have an issue where I have a few camera RTSP streams setup in home assistant. They work fine when viewed from the home assistant dashboard, but I noticed that even when I’m not viewing the home assistant dashboard and don’t have any active connections to my home assistant device, the network traffic from home assistant is very high across my network…to the point that I feel like it’s slowing everything down. If I remove the camera streams, the network traffic drops and everything returns to normal.

Why would the camera streams stay active even when not open in a browser or other device?

Glad I’m not the only one having this issues. I tried to setup the stream component in HA and my Virgin Media router crashes every time I try to access the stream.
It crashed to the point that it lost all it’s WiFi configuration, after I re-configured it devices reconnected fine but they weren’t showing on the hub interface :confused: . I stopped both wireless frequencies on the hub and setup an Ubiquity LR as AP but facing the same problem, the hub is still crashing while I try to access the stream. The stream is playing fine in VLC.

Right, after a bit of digging around I found the issue. The router I’m using ( Virgin Media Hub 3 ) doesn’t support hairpin NAT. Issue explained here
I was looking to add an Ubiquiti USG to my network at some stage but this issue will just accelerate the hardware purchase :slight_smile:

I’m having the same issue. Hassio 104 in docker on Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS.

Two hacked dafang cams with RTSP. When I use MotionEye, it crashes the whole machine.

Did you ever solve this? I’m having the same issue. I run Proxmox with HA in a VM. After a day or two the network connection for the whole machine just dies, I can’t get to HA or Proxmox, and I have to hard-reboot.

My workaround is just using local IP for accessing HA when I’m home.

Previously when I was at home I was accessing an outside IP to route back to my local hassio which crashed the network. No issues now since accessing local on 192.168… then the outside one when I’m actually out