Can a nested automation trace the original trigger event?

in the amount of time spent looking for an alternative and replying to this thread, the conversion could likely be done already.

Is it too much to ask that people stop second guessing me, I’m simply not in a place where I can convert to scripts. It’s not an avenue that I’m able to take at the moment.

Scripts may solve all of my problems, but if I’m not in a place where I can do it, I’m not in a place where I can do it. It’s as simple as that.

I’d very much like it if people could limit their comments to the original problem.

if you have the perception that one is harder to maintain or document than the other and that’s what’s holding you back, clarify that concern and we can likely clear it up

I know that you mean well, but could we please limit the scope of this thread to the original question. If you would like to discuss the issue of scripts vs automations you may get a better response opening your own thread about it.

dude, it was your statement in your original post. was just trying to understand your sit better to help, but whatever… i got burning desire to debate the issues of scripts…

but speaking of “you may get a better response [if]”…

but speaking of “you may get a better response [if]”…

Different thread for a different day.

I’m not saying that I will never use scripts, I’m simply going to try this first.

no, that wasn’t the completion of my “if”…
you’re telling me i might get a better response if…

i’m telling you… you might get a better response if…
if you treated folks here like the volunteers they are…
if you clarified statements you made that don’t appear to make sense
if you helped people understand the constraints you’re dealing with.

at the end of the day, when people contort the system to do things in bad ways, sometimes it gets the job done in the moment. often times when it’s super bad, it creates a spaghetti mess that comes back to this community in a bigger issue to unwind.

in good conscience its hard for most folks here to recommend to someone to do something they expect will shoot themselves in the foot. “hey, can you help me figure out how to unlock this trigger lock on this gun?”

of course i’m sure each of us has indeed provided some “bad solution” but typically when we understand a constraint that dictates “well, i don’t see a better solution than this hack”…

so… going back to your own words… “you may get a better response” if we really understand the request and are treated like the community volunteers we are…

2 Likes

There are others who has given up on him it seems.
This post sums up quite a lot and you can see from the posts below it, it’s not pretty.

Another thread where he just refuses to listen.

2 Likes

It’s not just me, every time the pair of you show up and start making posts like that people simply abandon them because arguing with you isn’t productive.

Ask yourself, what value do you add to a thread by complaining about something that happened on another thread.

It shows people there is no hope.

2 Likes

so… going back to your own words… “you may get a better response” if we really understand the request and are treated like the community volunteers we are…

I think that we need to be clear about this, I started a thread and you chose to respond to it.

I didn’t think that you’re response was right for me at this time, and that should have been the end of it. You shrug your shoulders and move on to another thread.

Instead you chose to come back again and argue with me, and you’re still doing it, and now this thread is one long argument.

Yes, you’re a volunteer, but do you think arguing with me is really how a volunteer should act?

Please just move on.

We will, good luck

You could have come here and made a productive contribution to this thread, or you could have simply ignored it.

Instead you chose to rehash an argument form another thread.

Do you really think that doing that will help anyone.

Please simply pass my threads by and do not comment on them,

I and a lot of others did, but the receiver is isn’t listening.
Think about it. Everyone here is saying the same thing. Even in threads on the past.

I and a lot of others did, but the receiver is isn’t listening.
Think about it. Everyone here is saying the same thing. Even in threads on the past

You’re suggestion wasn’t the right one for me. I listened and politely said that I would try to find a different way.

You then proceeded to pursue me across multiple threads telling everyone that I didn’t listen to you.

Does this strike you as helpful?

I’ll put everyone right out of their misery.

No, it is not possible.

You have been given 2 ways to solve this:

• a single automation potentially using Choose & Trigger_id. This will definitely give you what you want but you called it “unwieldy”.
  • somewhat same as above using scripts. You called this “unsafe”, presumably because you won’t admit scripts are essentially the same as the action part in an automation.

How many times can you ask the same question over & over if you don’t like the answer? Well, this thread answers that question, apparently.

3 Likes

Your type comes every now and then and it’s always the same thing.
Ask a question and be determined the only correct answer is the one that is impossible.
Blame every single one in the thread for not helping bend the reality to suit you.

When you see these people I generally have a look at their history, and more often than not you see the same pattern in the past.

Is it helpful? Yes it is.
I doubt it but perhaps you have learned something.
But it sure isn’t helpful to bend reality to someone’s completely flawed view. It won’t last long until you get the next issue in the same rabbit hole.

You see the same thing on programming sites like stack overflow.
People don’t help because it will just make things worse.

Again think about it.

Your type comes every now and then and it’s always the same thing.
Ask a question and be determined the only correct answer is the one that is impossible.

I didn’t think that the answer that you gave was right for me, and you got angry when I continued looking for alternatives. You then decided to pursue me across multiple threads telling everyone that I didn’t listen to you.

This isn’t helpful.

When you see these people I generally have a look at their history, and more often than not you see the same pattern in the past.

People will see a string of threads that I abandon once you show up.

Blame every single one in the thread for not helping bend the reality to suit you.`

You offered an alternative way of doing things that I decided not to follow. I didn’t blame you, I simply asked you if you could help with the original question rather than offer alternatives.

If it was impossible you could have said so.

I have never posted anything to you ever before.

As I said earlier on, this is a people problem, not a technical one.

I’ll put everyone right out of their misery.

No, it is not possible.

I’m no sure why this wasn’t said earlier by other people.

Question anwered.

Oh my god :man_facepalming:
It has been said many times before.
You just don’t listen

4 Likes