Can a Shelly PM handle a natural gas garage heater?

Amp rating of the fan on my garage heater is 3.75 AMP. Shelly PM is rated for 16A. But I know sometimes other things need to be taken into consideration.

Do you electrical guys think the Shelly PM could handle switching power to the heater?

Electrically, yes, no problem.

However, modifying gas devices is fraught with danger and highly regulated. Even putting a non-contact hall effect sensor on a gas meter has had repercussions from one internet post I read ages ago, and now can not find.

1 Like

But I’m not changing anything with the gas portion. I am just connecting the power wire to a Shelly just cause I want to monitor energy usage.

But you still think it doesnt matter what I am changing, but just that im changing it?

Yep. Gas companies can be very authoritarian.

You would need to cut into the power cable to install the Shelly PM. That’s modifying the device.

OK well what if I attach the shelly BEFORE the outlet?

So Im not modifying anything on the heater. The heater still plugs into the outlet, unmodified. But then theres a shelly monitoring the energy the outlet is putting out

That would seem to be a suitable solution (IANAL).

Printing and framing this for future need…

Note the arse covering clause:

1 Like

Fixed it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Code is pretty specific. Needs AMI - Approved Manufacturer Installation. Is there a thermostat option? What does the manual say?

Just a few things to check. If I fire ever broke out, insurance companies are not lenient.

1 Like

I suppose this is the case of “Yeah you can do it, but…”

If the goal being to monitor the power consumption, how about we go CT clamp route so that there’s no wiring that gas or insurance companies would complain about? Just a thought.

I found the wiring diagram based on the model number and it will accept a thermostat.

Also in the manual, a disconnect switch was discussed. If you have a disconnect switch, wire the switch and not the connection. If in US would use the shelly UL listed with over-current and temp protection or wire in a smart thermostat.

BTW: I need one of these bad boys! It’s cold in my garage in the winter!

Well I had it connected to a thermostat at install. But now I am not even using it because it cycled too much.

So now I have automations that pretty much keep it in a 6 deg swing (on at 58, off at 64).