Can home assistant call my cell phone?

I have a DIY alarm system through home assistant that if any door/window etc is opened after we go to bed, “red mode” is activated (lights turn on, speakers tell us what was opened, etc).

I go out of town for work. I have HA setup to send my phone an alert if “red mode” is activated, but if Im sleeping, a little BING isnt going to wake me.

Is there anyway for HA to actually CALL my cell phone? Im assuming this would have to be done through a 3rd party integration, IFTT, etc etc. But is it POSSIBLE? Anyone done it before?

1 Like

If using HA OS or HA Supervised, there is DSS VoIP Notifier
This add-on allows you to make VoIP calls from Ha

2 Likes

Isn’t it possible to play an mp3 on the phone?
Maybe I’m wrong but that is probably the route I would try

It is possible!
You can place a call and play an MP3 file to the attendees. Please read docs

I use Twilio for that functionality.

@finity Can you expand on this? Do you use the add-on posted above with Twilio?

No, I don’t use supervised so no add-ons.

it’s just the Twilio integration connected to my Twilio account set up with some automations to call people based on conditions.

Right now I use the Alexa Media Player Actionable Notifications ability and if any of my Echo devices hears “I need help” or “call for help” and doesn’t get a “no” response when it says “are you sure?” then it triggers the Twilio service to call my designated numbers with a message I set up in the automation.

I think the Twilio service is $1 per month for renting the Twilio phone number and it’s ridiculously cheap for each call. And it can also send text messages as well.

2 Likes

you can use TTS.