Can home assistant os be acces point for mqtt devices

Hi all.
Im not sure is this the right place to post but if its not please move the topic to the category that belongs

I have a raspberry pi 3 with HAos on it.
I also install mqtt brocker addon.

currently my raspberry pi is connected to a wifi router trough a cable. My mqtt devices are connected to the same router trough the wifi connection so all devices are in same network.

my question is, is it possible to connect my devices to my raspberry trough wifi instead of the router?

currently the only thing that comes to mind is to backup my HAos, to install some linux on the SDcard of the raspberry and on top of the system to install docker with HA container :smiley:

I’m not sure I understand the question. As long as all devices are on the same network, they can be connected to wifi or ethernet and still communicate.

This is what confuses me. Your devices are currently connecting to the raspberry via wifi, provided by the router. Are you wanting the raspberry to provide a wifi access point so the devices can connect directly to it via wifi? If so, what is your reasoning?

It is unclear what’s going on here and what the current issue is.

A router’s job is to route packets: In other words, it sends packets on your network to other devices or externally (like the internet). Network here means a subnet – a subsection of the internet’s addressing space, e.g. addresses in the range 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255 (a private range that can only be used on private networks). Most users and probably you too will have only one local network. That means, regardless of how you connect to the router, WiFi and LAN (cabled) devices can communicate with each other. But, some routers have their WiFi clients limited to speaking to only other WiFi clients. Some routers have by default also a separate guest WiFi.

I’m not sure why you said “access point” in the title. Maybe you meant just that you want some device via MQTT to connect to HA on the Pi, but access point (or APN) means something specific, which is a routing device where WiFi devices can connect to. If you actually meant the latter, then you’ll have 2 routers for one network, which would be odd.

Sorry for the confusion.
Imagine that wifi router is removed/gone for some reason and the only think that left is a cable which is connected to the raspberry pi.

so now how i can connect the smart devices to the raspberry pi so HA can control them ?

Yes.

Can raspberry pi with HAos on it can become one ?

HAOS is a closed system, so no. Otherwise, probably, with the right software, but why? Are you trying to achieve redundancy? Is it for perceived efficiency? Let the router do the job it was designed for. What is the problem you’re trying to solve?

see this:

1 Like