Can I access the addon folder with the configurator?

I’m using a computer on which network access is disabled. Therefore I cannot use samba to access the file system. I do have access to the configurator. Could I access the addon folder in this way? I have tried to look for it but I couldn’t find the right path (no search function available).

No, that’s not possible. The way addons work is by running in their own environment. The addon-folder is in the parent environment, and not mapped into the container. Might be a good idea though now that you mention it.

@danielperna84 Thanks for the response. I’ll try to find another computer then :wink:

On a technical note, following your reasoning, how can the samba addon make the addon folder accessible? Surely, the samba add-on must then also run in its own environment without access to this parent environment.

The samba add-on is designed to allow access. The add-on folder is mapped into its environment. This just hasn’t been done for the configurator. Although I kind of doubt this would be accepted. This would introduce the power to integrate malicious code into a custom add-on. The way it is now the configurator can only mess with itself or the HASS configuration.

1 Like

way old thread but on point and you’re the man with the answers, @danielperna84 – i’m bumbling my way through home assistant. have configurator set up (thank you, it’s great) set up, finally got ssl/nginx reverse proxy up and running, and samba share. on samba – i can confirm i can see and access the add on folder on my rpi from windows explorer. but…it’s empty. is that by design? is that part and parcel of what you’re saying about add ons running in their own container? i have a bunch of add ons installed and working, and they all get backed up properly, but i don’t see the actual files for those add ons anywhere in the samba share. should i? according to my backups, my add ons should account for several hundred mb of files, but only my config and ssl folders are populated on samba (even when i make sure hidden files are displayed), and they are much smaller than the total size of my backups. is that how it’s supposed to be or is something off with my samba setup?