Can i host Home Assistant Remotely?

Hey, i want to host Home Assistant on a Remote Server. I want to use for Example IKEA and Phillips Hue Lights. Do i need something at home for it, like a Bridge or something? Also, is it Hard to Setup?

Yes you run Home Assistant on a computer in the house you want to automate.

You can’t run it remotely (well, you can, if you know what you’re doing and you’re very careful in the integrations you pick).

Hard? That’s down to your knowledge and ability to learn.

1 Like

… And are willing to out up with the cloud latency it introduces.

(no you really don’t.)

Ok, thanks.
What Raspberry Pi do you prefer, how much RAM, what Model?
If i get a Raspberry Pi do i need to buy something else (except Power Supply, SD Card etc) like a Zigbee adapter?

The Latency doesnt really care but if its hard i wont do it :wink:

Is there also a online demo where i can test it before i buy the raspberry?

Literally on the HA website…

2 Likes

You say that now but multi second wait times between motion sensory trigger and light on probably says otherwise. Or the inability to swith something without internet connection.

To combat that you need extremely high speed fat pipe bulletproof internet that has a backup.whichis waaaay more expensive than a Pi or NUC

1 Like

The most integrations work in local, if you have a remote HA, you can’t use them.

For HA, a simple Raspberry Pi 4 with 2GB is enough. Or, if you prefer, you can buy a Home Assistant Green.

3 Likes

Didnt saw that, mb

Alright might buy the Pi 4 Then

I saw in the Demo that you can Switch on HA the Input/Switcher for the TV. Is there a Premade HDMI Switcher or do i need to do it myself?

Depends on what kind of TV. There’s tons of pre-built and some even have multiple.

For instance I have fire TV devices there’s an android adb integration that talks directly to the fire stick with dev mode enabled and I use a custom community provided card to drive the TV like a remote.

Theres stuff for most major brands and how you present it is up to you but in most cases you don’t necessarily have to build. It. But yiu can if you want.

I have a Old TV, with a Fire TV Stick that probably wont work?

Not necessarily. If you can drive the TV by IR you can find options and I drive fire sticks on all of my tvs.

Exact model number matters. And never assume.

Until no replaced it i was driving a 15 year old Samsung DLP (the TV itself wasn’t supported) with a Harmony Remote (which absolutely is) and a fire stick. (also is) I had complete control of that device.

The LG I have (and most webos tvs) is.and so is the Samsung I the bedroom.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/fire_tv/

My TV has some Apps on it, so its a little “smart” but what do you mean with
“If you can drive the TV by OR you can find options and I drive fire sticks on all of my tvs”

I Have a Fire TV Stick like the stick from Roku wich you can add to any tv with HDMI

IR = infrared (typo, I was fixing it as you typed this)

If the TV supports IR then you just need an IR blaster

Now i See that, how do i know if my TV has Infrared, I think it has but im not 100% Sure

Do you use a remote control?

Look you’re just getting started. Read the docs look through the website. There’s literally thousands and thousands of integrations and more come every day. On Homeassistant my answer to ‘is my thing supported’ is more likely yes than on any other platform I’ve ever used.

Make a list of yojr stuff you want to control (down to the model number) and learn how. To control that device by searching here and i the open internet with device type - model number - homeassistant. You’ll be amazed what you find.

(Don’t start asking ChatGPT how to do it because it was trained on years old data and it will feed you old, out of date or flat out wrong results that ‘look’ right to the casual observer.)

Once you have a reasonable grasp of the scope of possibility and a good idea how your stuff will work then come back and ask specific questions. We’ll all help. It’s one of the most active public communities out there.

But check your assumptions at the door. Read thedocs then ask. Like the questions about local v cloud there’s very specific reasons people make the reccommendations they do and it’s usually because they already lived that pain and have a better idea. So don’t ask can it do something without also asking if you should or if there’s a better way.

You’ll get from

I don’t think you can control my TV all the way to…

I came home unlocked the front door and my TV turned on to my favorite show automatically.

1 Like

Yea, it has IR, it has a little “bulb” at the front of the Remote and in the middle of the tv is a black spot probably the sensor (?)

But i will write all down and look into it.
Thanks for the Advice and for the Idea with the TV :upside_down_face:

1 Like