Can i reliably use PIR sensors in kitchen to control lights without them switching the lights off when i’m still in kitchen

Hi, First post here. I tried to follow the instructions but correct me if i have missed anything or posting this wrong.

Im learning more about PIR sensors but I’m confused with 2 things. So i want to get clarity before i make a purchase decision.

1. PIR sensors rely on heat emitted from the object so once i enter the detection zone and if i’m still in the detection zone with only my hands moving will the sensors still pickup movement ?(for eg cooking near stove)

2. Since these operate based on temp, can i still use them in kitchen without triggering false positives where the temp raises during cooking?

Background on what I’m trying to achieve:

I want to use a motion sensor in my kitchen (aqara or eve) to control the lights. Im aware of the mmWave occupancy sensors but they are expensive. Since my kitchen is a small area and as i will not be standing idle in kitchen most of the time i think PIR sensors would work great. But I’m holding back because i couldn’t find answers to above questions.

I have seen many videos talking about the things the sensors do but no video explains the settings how they can be configured to trigger lights off.

If any one is using PIR sensor in kitchen effectively to control lights could you please explain how did you configure the turn off process ?

You just need to set a timer for the motion not detected trigger, I set my motion sensor for my kitchen to turn on the light the moment I am in the kitchen then it waits 45s once there is no motion detected to turn it off.

typically turn off is done by a lack of motion for a period of time (you choose the amount)

personally I would recommend against doing pir for a place where it is dangerous if the lights go out on you suddenly (e.g. workshop working w power tools). unless maybe if you have an override … but even then, I wouldn’t… the risks are too high imho…

1 Like

Hi @armedad , i agree with you. But in my case it is not a big concern as there is always some light from night lamps in the next room.

I agree with @armedad, PIR is not the best solution for your scenario.

Thank you. Did yours cause any false triggers during cooking?

I currently use this one for the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom areas:

But if mmwave one is better deal go for it for places where you need more precise constant detection.

here is the yaml version of the automation I have set for the kitchen sensor:

alias: Kitchen Motion Sensor
description: Toggles the lights based on motion detection when home.
trigger:
  - type: motion
    platform: device
    device_id: 
    entity_id: 
    domain: binary_sensor
    id: Kitchen Motion Detected
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 0
  - type: no_motion
    platform: device
    device_id: 
    entity_id:
    domain: binary_sensor
    id: Kitchen Motion Not Detected
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 45
condition:
  - condition: sun
    before: sunrise
    after: sunset
action:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id:
              - Kitchen Motion Detected
        sequence:
          - service: light.turn_on
            metadata: {}
            data: {}
            target:
              entity_id: light.kitchen
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id:
              - Kitchen Motion Not Detected
        sequence:
          - service: light.turn_off
            data: {}
            target:
              entity_id: light.kitchen
mode: single
1 Like

@TH3xR34P3R Thank you I’ll checkout the product recommended

Theres a much simpler automation here:

I’ve never had any problems with motion sensors in the kitchen. PIR sensors detect movement against heat sources, not just heat sources.

2 Likes

Some of them are expensive. Moes has a decent one (I have 2 of them) for around $35US each. They are Zigbee and have been really reliable in my uses.

https://a.co/d/b3HST3M

Thank you. Yes i have this as a backup option. Since i had a motion sensor lying around i wanted to use that or buy aqara one which is cheap and had great reviews but i guess ill use it for some other purpose….looks like presence sensors are much better and accurate for my scenario.

1 Like

I have a PIR that covers my open plan kitchen and dining room. In the four years I’ve been using it to control the kitchen lights it has only turned off on me once when I was standing still by the stove stirring a pot. That was in the early days too. I think I just increased the off delay (to 5 minutes). Haven’t had an issue since.

I have one of these to test for more sensitive detection in the toilets where people often sit a lot more still: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005965164376.html

Support has only just been merged into zigbee2mqtt (I tested the device file, works well). It will be in a future release.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and im glad it worked for you. Ill try my eve motion sensor for a while and post the results here