Can no longer link Google Assistant

chiming in, having the exact same issue. Anyone found a solution yet?

Iā€™ve got the same issue here, but in in interest of completeness in a long thread:

• Using nginix reverse proxy, with cloudflare dns proxying
  • Have has this setup for > 2 years working, ā€œsome time agoā€ I noticed new devices were not being added during a sync.
  • Local fulfillment turned on
  • Unlinked and attempt relink

When I attempt to link, get the usual login screen, 2fa check then ā€œLinking your ā€ followed by the could not reach error.

In the google log explorer I get whenever I attempt to link.

SYNC: Request ID update devices failed: CANCELLED

Iā€™ve tried disabling cloudflare proxying, setting it to expose one entity, and setting the project back up from scratch, strongly implying its something to do with some part of my setup - same result from both.

I have the exact same issue. Is there a solution for that?

My guess is that there is something network related going on but that doesnā€™t disrupt standard ā€œout of homeā€ access, maybe combined with a change on the setup side.

For me Iā€™m guessing either cloudflare or NGINIX or some combination of both. Iā€™m interested in the other people with this error, are you guys all using reverse proxies?

It seems this thread is awash with things like duckdns issues etc, and there are a few commonalities.

My intention when I have some free time is to try and switch things around - probably trying cloudflare tunnels and no nginix at least as a debug step.

Iā€™m using a nginx reverse proxy yes. Do you think that it will work with the duckdns addon?

I donā€™t think it will resolve it no - as I understand there has been some problems at duckdns over the last year or so that have led to some instability. I know it ā€˜can workā€™ using that method but the issues they have had has been disrupting connections from outside the home in general, including from Google. That has been ā€˜some peoplesā€™ issues in this thread, but not all of them are in that category.

Iā€™ll report back when Iā€™ve done some debugging and maybe I can figure out at least which bit isnā€™t working.

I did try linking it again today to see if I was in the ā€œit just started working after 24hā€ category but this isnā€™t the case. Iā€™ll try more on this (I expect) next week.

1 Like

Much to my surprise, I got back from a trip this weekend and decided to relink again with no other changes and it just worked. This makes no sense to me, and sorry as this wonā€™t help others with this issue. The only thing Iā€™ve actually changed is to recreate the project from scratch. What I havenā€™t done:

• Changed the logo / developer information (tried that on the first project, but did no the second)
  • Change any proxy config from nginx or fiddle with anything at cloudflare
  • I havenā€™t had any changes to internet connecivity, DNS or network.

Iā€™ve no idea why my initial project ā€˜failedā€™ after a period (maybe it is something to do with it not being a fully published one but that feels a little unsatisfying).

Either way, all I did was create a new one and wait 3 or 4 days. Either it intermittently works 5% of the time or its a waiting game on the new project I guess.

Is the code owner aware of this problem? Seems to me that there are different flavours of problem but probably something common in the cause. There must be someone who can definitively advise which logs to look at for which messages.

For me, Iā€™ve had problems for ages with voice commands to HA over Google Assistant intermittently not being available. I thought Iā€™d bite the bullet and build a new home assistant and new Google project to try to define the problem and I now have the inability to link the account ā€œCould not reach [My HA server], please try laterā€.

Iā€™ve been through the Google Project settings and everything is correct as far as I can see. Iā€™ve tried some of the fixes from this thread but I still canā€™t get connected. It must be something in the Google account as I can successfully link the old project. So hereā€™s goes another hour or so re-checking the settingsā€¦

EDIT: This is weird as I can findthe new project in my list of ā€œWorks with Googleā€ stuff.

I get the username/password screen which presumably is local.

If I put the correct uid/pw in I get ā€œcould not reachā€ after it tries to connect.

If I put a bad p/w in it tells me itā€™s bad, so it MUST be reaching.

Thank you!

Very strange, this did the trick for me too for now. Experience is that every couple of months there is a new issue with this integration, but for now it seems to work!
Thanks!

I have the exact same error logs 1 year later. I tried unlinking project, deleting it from Google Cloud starting fresh. Same error. Did you ever find a fix?

Do you use cloudflare? Check this