Can not get ethernet to work! Help! Pi 4

Hello, I am trying to setup 7.6 64bit on my 8gb pi 4.

No matter how I address it, manually configure the IP, reset the system dns I can not get connected to the pie. Maybe the DNS settings are wrong? IDK.

Please help. Tell me what to paste into cmd promt and I will post the output from windows 10.

I bought this pi when the 8gb came out to run home assistant, yet always hit this wall. Please help get connected to this dang thing finally. I have a ethernet cross cable from the port of my pi to the port on my laptop. It’s picking it up, just won’t let me access it.

Thank you for any help.

I mean I don’t want to presume things about your setup, I guess what you’re doing could work? But generally people use an ethernet cable to connect devices to their router or to some kind of network hub. Not to their laptop.

I don’t have a router, hence why I am running a cross cable instead of a straight cable. I only intend on using Lan for setup.

1 Like

Ok I apologize. I’m not familiar with that type of setup so will back out and defer to others.

Hey bro I’m lost and begging for help lol. You good, maybe a typical Lan setup won’t work with this and I’m a fool…

Yea I get it. I’m not trying to be mean I’m just not familiar with the setup and so not really able to help. I made the first post on the off chance that you were really off track but clearly you’re not you just have setup that’s a bit different then normal.

Give it a bit more time, I bet there’s someone in this community who is familiar with what you’re trying. Also if you want you can hop on the HA discord server and ask there. There’s installation channels which might have people who can help.

You Win10 PC must be on the same subnet as your Pi. Your netmask should be something like 255.255.255.0. Also for DNS type a static IP of 8.8.8.8 (the public Goggle DNS server) and for backup 8.8.4.4 (optional).
An example:

Win10
IPaddress: 192.168.0.111
netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNSaddress: 8.8.8.8

Pi
IPaddress: 192.168.0.123
netmask: 255.255.255.0

Your Pi example will be:

IPaddress: 192.168.0.123/24

The above assumes internet, but you cannot have a LAN that connects to internet without something acting as a router. So either there is some kind of miscommunication about the setup, or are we just talking about 2 computers that have no other network connection than to one another?

Correct, leave DNS blank.

1 Like

I left dns blank and set manual ip addresses… so confused… Ran registry dns flush… I"m running pdanet+ for my internet thru a USB connection.

I have a pi 3b+ I can use as a bridge or an offline pc for setup if that would help… I keep my real horse power offline and clean…

Sooo desperate I’ll even throw the samsung chromebook into the assault.

I can get a clean wifi Hotspot thru connection off my laptop. Could I then pass that clean wifi from my laptop to a pi 3b+ to ethernet cross cable to home assistant pi 4 8gb? Wtf am I doing wrong! It shouldn’t be this fuckkkkkked!!!

I suggest you calm down to get this sorted, although I understand the frustration.

Let’s go back to basics. From your laptop can you ping the Pi? If you cannot we need to fix this first.

Today’s hardware can work out the CAT patch you use. Have you tried to use any other normal patch cable, straight or cross does not really matter much today, unless you are using really old hardware.

I understand there is no DNS running and technicaly you don’t need one, when working local. You can provide an external DNS in the settings, like Googles (8.8.8.8), but this won’t help because Googles DNS don’t know the names of the local devices.
Unless you’ve provided an assignment in the hosts file of Win10, like
name_of_the_rasp 192.168.0.10
or
homeassistant 192.168.0.10
you have to connect to it by its IP.

Did you ever use the crossover cable before? Means, are you sure its a real crossover cable?
Did you check what the actual IPs of the devices are, when connected via crossover?
Also make sure the firewall is off on the Win 10 PC.

Instead of using a crossover I would open a “mobile hotspot” on my phone or tablet and connect both devices to it.

Can u provide a screenshot of the Win10 ip4 settings and also the network settings you applied to HA.

sorry folks was at wits end and had a couple too many…

I ordered the cable for this use specificly, may be that is the issue.
tried to ping, it failed, this is what I got:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.1415]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Durp> nslookup rasphberrypi
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

I reset everything to automatic to start fresh and go from there.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.1415]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Durp>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-CPTI4JO
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-CC-C2-99-87
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1028:d767:2119:da1%15(Preferred)
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.13.161(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889676
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-55-79-5F-00-21-CC-C2-99-87
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter PdaNet Broadband Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : PdaNet Broadband Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-50-F2-93-90-00
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d1b6:27f8:45eb:2591%12(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.19.2(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 10, 2022 3:55:33 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, April 11, 2022 4:15:59 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.19.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.19.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201478386
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-29-55-79-5F-00-21-CC-C2-99-87
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1000
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-94-67-04-F5-F6

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-94-67-04-F5-F7

C:\Users\Durp>

Who do you expect should answer on your dns lookup ? i mean where/who is your dns-server ? … could you share the networks settings for your HA, aswel as OS on Pi, if you run in VM(on Pi) … you basically don’t seems to provide any “structural” info, so how should anyone be able to understand what you are doing ?

I tried setting up wifi on the sd, worked first time. Im giving up on ethernet. thanks for all the help.