Can the voice assistant say the unit of measure?

HA newbie here.
I have the NWS service and voice assistant set up. I can ask “what is the temperature outside”, and it responds correctly with the outside temp. The problem is that it says “F” instead of “Fahrenheit”.

Is there a way to either make it respond with the full word for the unit of measure, or exclude the unit altogether and just say “## degrees”?

You can create an automation that will respond to any custom word with any combination of data. I have attached a picture of an example of exactly what you are asking for. Note that you will need to change your sensor ID to yours of course. In addition you will see I have two responses, you can choose between just the degrees (it understands the degree symbol), the word Fahrenheit or a combination of the two. The method shown here basically strips out the unit of measure and allows you to replace it with your custom one. In addition of course you can ask what the weather is instead and have it give you both temperature and humidity if you want (or a whole strew of weather data).

One additional note on the sentence. You will see I have used [the] with brackets. This is correct. The brackets means you can either use that word or not and it will understand either sentence. You can also do something like (temperature|temp) to designate either one (but must be one unless both are in brackets like [temperature|temp] which means that both are optional).

1 Like

Awesome, thank you, this was very helpful!