Can "Updatng Sensors" not be a notification?

Am I missing something in settings? I’m getting notification 20+ times a day…

1 Like

If you have Android 8+, go to the notification settings, then choose the home assistant app and disable the channel “SensorWorker”.

2 Likes

This is called a foreground service, it must be a notification in order to prevent the app from getting killed and grabbing sensor data.

1 Like

Did the trick, thanks, appreciated.

@dshokouhi it is still unclear to me: if I turn of the notification-channel “sensor worker”, will the service not run, or will it just not notify me?

It will still update your sensors when you disable the channel. I disabled the channel immediately after I read the release notes for the new app and my sensors get updated without a problem.

So foreground services are required to create a notification and with that comes a notification channel on supported devices. You are more than welcome to disable it but if you see issues with sensor update reliability you may need to turn it back on…You can also minimize the notification so it only shows up in the pull down.

Ok, thanks, I’ll try that because most of the time the notification just doesn’t go away.

That could be because a sensor is not updating properly. It should only be shown for a few seconds.

When you do this on Samsung Galaxt A51 the sensors stop working after some time.

you can minimize the notification channel so it doesn’t show up, but yes in order for the app to continue to remain awake we do need it to remain as a foreground service

I know this ils an old post, but what if one is using an old Android phone, say Nougat 7.0 ?
(My phone is dead and not repairable, using an old one while new phone will be weeks late…)
Phone is rooted so accepting adb trick.
Thanks

Android < 8 doesn’t support channels, so you can’t disable it. You either disable all sensors or live with the sensor notification.

Even if you disable all sensors this BS mechanism will still spam your phone with useless notifications.

1 Like

Android 8 is how many years old now? You can’t expect ancient devices to be supported forever. There are certain features added by Google that the app will take advantage of.

I understand that your product is not very sustainable if it forces user to upgrade their old, still perfectly fine smartphone just to get the basic functionality working (like proper notifications) :slight_smile:
Also, your argument is still pretty dumb, because recently I’ve installed home assistant companion on my company’s samsung xcover 5 with android 13, and… it had the same exact issue. Also there was no UI to control notification channels. Is android 13 good enough to receive notifications from HA, or do you need even newer OS?

1 Like

Perfectly sustainable, we have code in place for older versions of Android. Your issue is that you are on a very old device that does not have support for notification channels and our app uses a foreground service worker. If you want to take advantage of all that android has to offer you should try to get a more up to date device.

This does not mean it has all the features

you should spend some time to learn your device, notification channels are a Android setting. If you also spent a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the app you will see the app has shortcuts to those notification channel settings. There is indeed a UI but you just didnt want to spend some time to look for it :wink:

I used this phone for more than a year. If you’d know multiple android deployments it’d be no surprise to you that this setting is not always a part of UI. And it’s not on xcover 5.
This is stupid and ridiculus that devs intentionally break legacy and “force” people to upgrade perfectly good phones and create electronic waste. As I already responded to you in another thread - this is a free product, so do whatever you want with it.

1 Like