Can you provide very basic instructions to help me publish MQTT message?

Hello

I am very familiar with MQTT and home automation in general, however I seem to have a mental block when it comes to doing anything in Home Assistant. Can someone give me a pointer?

I have installed an integration called “gecko” from HACS, which shows various data from a hot tub such as the temp, set temp, etc. These show up as entities, and I’m able to add cards to the dashboard showing the data and controls.

Now I would like to publish various data to MQTT, to consume elsewhere. Having glanced through the MQTT publish docs as well as this similar question, it is apparent that I need a bit more hand-holding than is provided!

So I have HASS installed with the menu down the left hand side: overview, energy, map, logbook, history, HACS, media, developer tools, settings, notifications, my profile. If I click into Settings > Devices and Services > Integrations, I see I have installed MQTT (9 devices, 33 entities) and it correctly points to my MQTT server’s IP address.

If I click “configure” on MQTT in Integrations, it seems to allow me to manually publish a message, which I don’t need. If I click the link pointing to 33 entities, it doesn’t seem to allow me to create a new entity, which is what I’d have thought I need to do. If I go into Devices, it allows me to add a device, but clearly that’s not what I need as well.

I’m familiar with Node-RED, and to do the above would just require that I wire the output of a device into an MQTT node, perhaps via a function or a change node depending on if I wanted to change / format data somehow/

What’s the equivalent way to do this in HASS?

If someone could literally tell me where to click in HA that would be great :slight_smile: as clearly once I know where to input the YAML I can play around as desired…

Thanks

Do you want to publish it using a script or an automation?

Here’s a screenshot of the form for creating a script. It’s using the MQTT Publish service call to publish a payload to an MQTT topic.

How much more “hand-holding” do you need?