Can YOU solve this one? iOS notifications only work on wifi!

I have had the below automation for quite some time, and it has always worked. It recently stopped working. Upon investigation, I found that it works when I am at home on my wifi network, but not on cellular. Does anyone know what would cause that?

- service: notify.mobile_app_mikes_iphone
            data:
              title: "Activity While Nobody Home"
              message: "The {{ trigger.to_state.attributes.friendly_name }} is now {{ trigger.to_state.state }}."
              data:
                push:
                  category: "last_person_leaves_home"
                  sound:
                    name: default
                    critical: 1
                    volume: 0.4

I’m on Android, so may be different, but is the app’s external URL still in place?

Yes. It has separate internal and external URLs. Both are correct. And the app does work remotely. I’m just not receiving the notifications.

1 Like

Had the same problem, internal notifications and external app access worked. Reinstalled the app and now no local notifications either! But the app works fine otherwise :exploding_head:

After trial and error, I found that it is not simply internal vs external. After a fairly recent HA restart, notifications do seem to work externally. But if has been anything longer than 12 hours or so since a restart, it almost never works. There’s really nothing useful in the logs to help debug. Very frustrating…

There was no prompt to allow notifications after reinstalling and I thought it was allowed since it didn’t ask and was enabled before. Turns out after reinstalling the app I had to go to notification settings in the app and re-authorize notifications. Everything’s been fine since.

So in my case, it looks like reinstalling fixed the initial issue of no external notifications. Maybe something to try.

2 Likes

I had the same issue. On your companion app (iOS) go to Bug section (last row) press reset AND after the Reset button on the last row. Maybe you have to login again. But is solved my problem.
Good Luck!

I tried the app reset described above. It didn’t work for me. Then, I uninstalled and reinstalled the iOS HA app and now alerts over cellular are working again. My biggest concern with this failure isn’t the failure itself, but the fact that it failed silently with no visible error. I might have been missing alerts for a long time and just didn’t know because I never saw anything. Going forward my workaround in case this recurs is to use pushover as an alert. Then, if I see only pushover messages and nothing from ha app I know the problem recurred.

While this was previously failing I did notice that the app’s rate limits was counting these notifications as delivered even though I didn’t get them. So the app really thinks it’s working even when it fails. Truly a silent failure.