Cannot add Matter device from IOS Companion app

Hoping someone else has run into this issue and can help me resolve. I recently purchased some smart switches (Orvibo MixPad D1) that do not have a native Home Assistant integration, but do claim to have Matter support (also questionable). I leapt into this with HA to try and figure out how to add the device via Matter.

I’m running

• Home Assistant 2023.5.4
  • Supervisor 2023.04.1
  • Operating System 10.2
  • Frontend 20230503.3 - latest

I’ve installed the Matter Server addon, version 4.5.1.
I’ve added the Matter integration.

I’m on the latest version of the Home Assistant Companion app (2023.460)
I’m running IOS 15.6.1 on an iPhone 13 pro (maybe this is the problem?)

When I follow the instructions from here:

The companion app displays the same message I see on the desktop:
“You need to use the Home Assistant Companion app on your mobile phone to commission Matter devices”

I’ve tried clearing the cache and reinstalling the companion app but neither attempt fixed this issue.

Just a guess, but check to see if Bluetooth is turned on on your phone.

Yes, bluetooth is enabled on my phone

This requires iOS 16.

Also, unless something has changed in the last two weeks (or your unit shipped with updated software/firmware), then the Orvibo MixPad D1 doesn’t have Matter support enabled yet. It’s apparently been validated already, but hasn’t been released by Orvibo yet. (Not sure what they’re waiting for)

What software version is running on your Orvibo?

Hello, I seem to be having the same issue.
Running HA with docker on a NUC, matter server also running and configured in HA. Everything looks fine.

Going to companion app on my pixel 8 running graphene (if that matters), trying to add a matter device with Setting -> Devices & Services -> Devices -> Add Device -> Add Matter devices gives me the following output :
“You need to use the Home Assistant Companion app on your mobile phone to commission Matter devices”, from there I can only cancel.

Bluetooth is enabled, the apps currently has pretty much all permissions enabled, and I also tried clearing the cache. I’m thinking that it could be due to missing google services in Graphene. I haven’t been able to find a similar issue on the webs.

Details about my setup, I have only HA running on a NUC, and am currently using exclusively nanoleaf stuff with elements acting as an OTBR.
The nanoleaf app works fine for the matter bulbs (model NL67E200).

Anybody would have ideas? It seems to me the HA companion app doesn’t realize it’s actually running on a phone.

Edit : I additionally tried with my wife’s iPhone, I can get the registration working there, although it still fails to pair, but this is very likely another issue. So quite likely, HA depends of Google framework for matter.

Edit : Confirmed, Installing sandboxed google services and installing the app via play store allows adding matter devices. It would be great to not depend on google services here.

1 Like

Well damn. So as it stands, it seems there’s no seamless way to even use Matter+HA without a factory GPS/iOS device then…

Same issue with android. Not great