Cannot add ZWave Integration

I have a new home assistant installation on a Raspberry Pi 4.

I have the Z-Wave JS UI and Z-Wave JS add-ons installed.

I would like to install the ZWave integration. When I select this to add it asks if I want to use the ‘ZWave JS supervisor add-on’. If I say yes, it then shows the attached and spins for many minutes eventually timing out.

I would like to be able to add the z-wave devices to the dashboard, and I can include them in the network using the ZWave JS UI, but I don’t see a way to get the devices to appear in the dashboard.

What do I need to do here? thanks, Peter

ETA - It looks like this is related somehow to this other thread - Z-Wave JS UI Driver: Failed to open the serial port Cannot lock port (ZW0100) - #4 by freshcoast

Well, you can’t do that. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zwave_js/#can-i-switch-between-the-official-z-wave-js-add-on-and-the-z-wave-js-ui-add-on

All you need to do is follow the instructions in the Z-Wave JS UI Add-on documentation. There’s no need to use the Z-Wave JS add-on if you want to use Z-Wave JS UI.

OK, so I have the Z-Wave JS UI add-on running. I can use it to include new devices.

But how do I then get these devices to show up in my dashboard?

Did you read the add-on docs? It tells you how to install the Z-Wave integration.

Yes, actually. I am following the the addon-zwave-js-ui/zwave-js-ui/DOCS.md at b5b108cc114868408677810ac7dab90ebc87769f · hassio-addons/addon-zwave-js-ui · GitHub instructions exactly.

Wow, that works if you enter the literal given in step 5. I added a pull request to the docs explaining that one literally uses that url despite it seeming strange that it would be the same on all new installations.

Personally, I don’t see any ambiguity. :person_shrugging: It doesn’t say “here’s an example”, it literally tells you the value to enter.

FYI, The add-on URL prefixes are always the same. They random-looking “slug” uniquely identifies an add-on repository, not an installation. In this case the community add-ons are identified by a0d7b954. Here’s instructions for the community grafana add-on for example.

3 Likes