Cannot boot after installing Generic x86-64 Version on Dell Optiplex 3050 TD

I’m stuck trying to install the Generic x86-64 Version of Home Assistant.

I installed onto an M.2 NVMe SSD drive using an SSD dock, the downloaded version of Home Assistant, and Balena Etcher. I’ve done this probably around 6 to 8 times by now just to make sure I did it right. The subsequent times I deleted all partitions and reformatted the entire drive to ext4 or FAT32 before installing using Balena Etcher.

I previously had Windows installed on this machine and ran Home Assistant as a VM. I didn’t have any problems, but I didn’t like how often Windows needed to be updated. Point being, the computer, SSD hard drive, screen, etc. all have worked fine in the past.

I have been able to access the BIOS.

I’ve also specified the path to the EFI file as \EFI\B00T\bootx64.efi

I also tried using Ubuntu live to set the drive name to nvme0n1 but that didn’t seem to work, even with sudo.

I’ve tried to look up several YouTube videos and nothing has helped.

No luck so far and I’m out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

Is EUFI enabled and Secure boot disabled in the BIOS ?

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/fr-be/optiplex-3050-desktop/optiplex-3050-desktop-tower-owners-manual/entering-bios-setup-program?guid=guid-dacdef92-bd0f-40c4-b280-5e81eb67a4c5&lang=en-us

1. OptiPlex 3050 Tower Owner’s Manual
  2. BIOS setup
  3. Entering BIOS setup program

Entering BIOS setup program

Steps

1. Turn on your computer.
  2. Press F2 immediately to enter the BIOS setup program.

NOTE:If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the desktop. Then, turn off your computer and try again.

I was able to access the BIOS, finally. I first tried removing the button cell battery. That didn’t seem to do much. Then I had to hold down D on the keyboard while starting and that seemed to do the trick to give me a screen where I could select the BIOS. I also figured out that if I have any USB peripherals plugged in, sometimes I won’t see the DELL screen, so I have to unplug all peripherals, turn on, wait 8 to 10 seconds, then plug in the keyboard to hit F12 to access the BIOS.

EUFI was already enabled and Secure boot was already disabled in the BIOS.

Now I am seeing the DELL logo on startup, then it goes to a black screen that says “GNU GRUB version 2.06” at the top and four options:
Slot A (OK=0 TRY=0)
Slot B (OK=0 TRY=0)
Sot A (rescue shell)
Slot B (rescue shell)

I’ve tried all the options. I just end up getting stuck on this screen. Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I again tried to reformat the SSD, this time to FAT32, then re-downloaded and re-installed the x86 Home Assistant image using Balena Etcher.

Still starts up to that same exact screen I posted above.

I tried both of these instructions.

hello, I have exactly the same problem, I’m using a classic ssd disk, I want to switch to the same hw and disk as you, did you manage to solve it? paul