Cannot boot into HA anymore -- stuck in UEFI Interactive Shell

I have HA installed in a VM and it’s now in a weird state, no idea what happened. The VM was turned off (i didn’t stop it) and when i restarted, I’m on this screen:

Quick google search yieled some reports of same issue due to bad update and related to boot order: System update fail

However, typing exit and getting into the “Boot order” menu, shows my HD in the top slot so I don’t think this the issue:

For reference, this is HA running in a Linux VM on Unraid.

2 Likes

As per my post on the other thread, I think you’ll find this is a kvm/qemu issue and the recreating the vm with the existing vdisk usually fixes it.

Link to other post

5 Likes

I have the same issue.
@tmchow, did you manage to get it to run? what are the exact steps if so?

Fixed, I forgot to extract the qcow2 file …

For VirtualBox users: creating new virtual machine worked, but an easier way was to delete the .nvram of the vhost (didn’t double check but it worked once).

5 Likes

Ok, I’m back again with the same issue. Recreating the VM and pointing to same vDisk like @tinglis1 suggested here worked before. However this time it didn’t.

My vDisk is at /mnt/user/domains/home_assistant/haos_ova-7.0.qcow2.

Still stuck on this damn screen after starting this second VM:

Suggestions?

Same here … Anyone have solutions ?

1 Like

Also seeing this issue. Recreate vm isn’t working :frowning:

hey!

you have to go to VM BIOS - just quickly press ESC while it boots
and then follow instructions here: Proxmox 7 can’t boot to UEFI (Home Assistant and other UEFI images) – Jarek Hartman (disable SECURE BOOT)

So simple and so efficient !
It works like a charm !
Thank you so much for this solution!

Check disk driver name in kvm xml file of your vm.
Unraid changed it transparently to raw, it should be “qcow2” obviously.

<emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/> /// change raw into qcow2
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/hassio/haos_ova-8.2.qcow2'/>

4 Likes

Worked for me using KVM on Unraid. Cheers.

Worked for me. Thank you!

thank you! this fixed my issue

it seems i cannot change secure boot configuration item “current secure boot state” from disabled to enabled…what seems to be the problem? I have exactly same setup that linked guide has.

I’m having the same problem. I can’t change the secure boot state either.
I attempted to recreate my HA VM from backup in proxmox, and it too has the same issue.
I’m literally pulling my hair out to get this fixed, and I can’t find any solutions on the internet!

For anyone still having this problem and the posted solution didn’t work for you, I found a solution that worked for me.

• Make sure your HA VM is disabled or shutdown
  • From Proxmox console use gdisk, where is the VM id and is the drive name:
gdisk /dev/pve/vm-<VMID>-disk-<DISK>
  • Once GDISK opens, then just use the “W” command to re-write the partition map
  • Start your HA VM.

I’m having this same exact issue.
I followed the steps detailed by everyone, and none worked.
The last one I tried is the one from @rtorch , but now the machine does not show a UEFI screen, it just says the guest has not started the displya (yet).
Any other idea?

On the proxmox forums I’ve seen discussion on this type of error. You may want to search there for a possible solution. (I assume you have HA instsalled as a VM on proxmox)

1 Like

Your assumptions are right.
However, I finally created a new VM and restored a backup. Took less time