Cannot connect to home assistant - Noob version

Hey there,
I’m getting started witht the programming and homeassistn environment. I’m really noob regarding some terms so I please go easy on me.
Recently I no longer I’m able to acess Homeassisnt (connectec with rpi3) trough my phone or desktop.
The follwing error messages comes true:

Unnable to connect to Home Assistant.

My log file shows the follwing:

019-09-11 22:51:20** WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http] Configuring api_password via the http integration has been deprecated. Use the legacy api password auth provider instead. For instructions, see https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/authentication/providers/#legacy-api-password
2019-09-11 22:51:20 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http.auth] legacy_api_password support has been enabled.
2019-09-11 22:51:21 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder] Ended unfinished session (id=190 from 2019-09-11 20:24:58.845861)
2019-09-11 22:51:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.input_select] Invalid option: (possible options: Web Player (Chrome), SM-G930F, DESKTOP-1BMUATF, Home group)
2019-09-11 22:51:33 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http] Failed to create HTTP server at port 8123: [Errno 98] error while attempting to bind on address (‘0.0.0.0’, 8123): address in use
2019-09-12 04:15:02 ERROR (Thread-4) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Home group:42631] Error reading from socket.
2019-09-12 04:15:02 WARNING (Thread-4) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Home group:42631] Error communicating with socket, resetting connection
2019-09-12 04:15:35 WARNING (Thread-3) [pychromecast.socket_client] [Sala de estar:8009] Heartbeat timeout, resetting connection

The config file is like this:

homeassistant:

packages: !include_dir_named packages/

# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

#Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.
http:
  base_url: ###.duckdns.org:8123
  api_password: ###
  ssl_certificate: /ssl/fullchain.pem
  ssl_key: /ssl/privkey.pem
  ip_ban_enabled: False
  login_attempts_threshold: 20

# Discover some devices automatically
discovery:

switch:
    platform: mqtt
    name: "sonoff1"
    command_topic: "cmnd/sonoff1/power"
    state_topic: "stat/sonoff1/POWER"
    #availability_topic: "tele/sonoff002/LWT"
    qos: 1
    payload_on: "ON"
    payload_off: "OFF"
    retain: true

frontend: !include frontend.yaml

# Sensors
sensor:
  # Weather prediction
  - platform: yr
  - platform: time_date
    display_options:
      - 'time'
      - 'date'
      - 'date_time'
      - 'date_time_iso'
      - 'time_date'
      - 'beat'

#falar
google_assistant:
    project_id: home-562d6
    #api_key: ###
    api_key: ###
    exposed_domains:
        – switch
        – light
        - cover
        - group
        - scene
        - media_player

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate
    #base_url: 192.168.1.74:8123
    cache: true
    cache_dir: /tmp/tts
    time_memory: 300
    service_name: google_say

group: !include groups.yaml

#automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml

Could you give me any help with this?

What version are you running? The API Password has been deprecated for quite a while.

I’ll assume that you have downloaded and are running HASSIO. That is easiest way to run. It will run in a docker container.
The standard setup will ask you to create a userid and password. That is “normal” auth_provider as designated by type: homeassistant. If you have a legacy API, you need to define the password using the legacy_api_password. I still have that around in my config.

Here is what it looks like under the section

homeassistant:
  auth_providers:
    - type: homeassistant
    - type: legacy_api_password
      api_password: !secret http_password

~Bryan

I didn’t updated to the new version, so I have the last version.

So I just have to edit the config with that text?
Can I remove the api password in the config and disable it?

Exactly which “last version” do you have? there are around 97 other versions to choose from. the new auth system has been in place for several of those versions.

However I don’t think that is the problem. the error is saying that port 8123 is already in use.

How did you install Home Assistant? HassOS? Docker?

Did you recently make any configuration changes?

Hey.
How can i check the version without going trough the ui?
I’ve installed hassio in a PI3 and i didnt performed any change lately

Hi Carlitosboss,

You said your were a noob, and we all forgot to welcome you. So, Welcome! The community as you can see if quite active and vibrant.

I can tell you that getting into HA has been a fun journey, but once you start you might feel a little bit lost. The homeassistant log file will be your friend. So check it regularly.

I would suggest doing checks by SSH into your PI (I use Putty), and once you are at the prompt, you can do a lot of work to check the config. The actuall commands are “hassio homeassistant check”. Here is a screen-dump of the help from the command-line.

This command provides a set of subcommands to control the Home Assistant
instance running on this Hass.io installation.

It provides commands to control Home Assistant (start, stop, restart), but also
allows you to check your Home Assistant configuration. Furthermore, some options
can be set and allows for upgrading/downgrading Home Assistant.

Usage:
  hassio homeassistant [command]

Aliases:
  homeassistant, home-assistant, ha

Examples:

hassio homeassistant check
  hassio homeassistant restart
  hassio homeassistant update
  hassio homeassistant update --version 0.97.2

Available Commands:
  check       Validates your Home Assistant configuration
  info        Provides about Home Assistant
  logs        View the log output of Home Assistant
  options     Allow to set options on Home Assistant instance
  rebuild     Rebuild the Home Assistant instance
  restart     Restarts Home Assistant
  start       Manually start Home Assistant
  stats       Provides system usage stats of Home Assistant
  stop        Manually stop Home Assistant
  update      Updates Home Assistant

Flags:
  -h, --help   help for homeassistant

Global Flags:
      --api-token string   Hass.io API token
      --config string      Optional config file (default is $HOME/.homeassistant.yaml)
      --endpoint string    Endpoint for Hass.io Supervisor ( default is 'hassio' )
      --log-level string   Log level (defaults to Warn)
      --no-progress        Disable the progress spinner
      --raw-json           Output raw JSON from the API

I hope that helps you get going. Ping back with more questions.

~Bryan

Did you just restart the RPi and that is when you lost connection to the frontend?

If so then what prompted you to want to restart the RPi?

How long have you been running HA? Several months? several weeks? several days? is this a brand new install?

I’m not sure if it’s an issue but in the configuration file you posted there are a bunch of indentation errors there. But if it has been running like that for a while then it might just be a copy/paste issue?

and it still doesn’t explain why the log error says that port 8123 is already in use. I don’t think that error can just suddenly appear without a change to something in the code or something similar.

As noted above if you are running hassio and have SSH access then you can get the version information from the “info” command (I think - I don’t use hassio).

You can also try to do a restart of HA from there and then look at the newly created log file to see if it gives you any other specific errors to look at.

Thank you very much. I will try to check my errors and I will get back in my doubts.
Amazing help info

I’ve restared the RPi and lost acess yes. It was on week ago when I lost access with the reeboting i could no longer have UI…
I will digger the commands to see what messages it gives me

I’ve cleaned up several errors, but one keeps showing and I don’t know how to resolve it:
“ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http] Failed to create HTTP server at port 8123: [Errno 98] error while attempting to bind on address (‘0.0.0.0’, 8123): address in use”
The only thing connected in my network is the philips hue but i’ve tried to disabled them and nothing happens.
What could I 've been doing bad? It’s almost one week and I can’t acess the Home Assistant :frowning:

That means 8123 is already in use. You have something listening on that port. A dead home assistant instance maybe?

How can I check what’s listening on thar specific port?
I don’t know how can I create a dead home assistant instance?

Since you’re running hassio, probably not an easy way.

Why not just save the configuration directory and reinstall?

??

Well, you probably didn’t create it. Something happened and it has a stuck container possibly.

Basically without some troubleshooting, and understanding of how the system works, you aren’t really going to get very far.

copy your config off the sdcard (you will need a tool to read linux partitions, or a linux machine or live usb linux booted), and reinstall hassio.